none
Storage pool drives encrypted? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of setting up a DPM2010 server to function as an off-site backup for my employer.  I've gotten it working on our internal network, and don't see any problems getting it working at the off-site location.

What my employer is concerned about, however, is encrypting the storage pool drives, so if someone steals one of the drives (they're in an externally accessible hot-swap bays) they would find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to read the data on the drives.  We are not going to be backing the data up to tape on this system.

Thank you,

Jason A.

Jason A.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You have two choices.

1) Enable NTFS EFS encryption on the protected machines, and DPM will store the data encrypted on the DPM storage pool disks.

2) Use a hardware encryption solution similar to http://www.exar.com/storage/data-security-and-compression/

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

DPM supports protecting bitlocker enabled volume on the protected servers, however, you cannot enable bitlocker on the DPM storage pool volumes.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jason A_ Monday, October 24, 2011 4:06 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have two choices.

1) Enable NTFS EFS encryption on the protected machines, and DPM will store the data encrypted on the DPM storage pool disks.

2) Use a hardware encryption solution similar to http://www.exar.com/storage/data-security-and-compression/

Friday, October 21, 2011 10:08 PM
  • So Bitlocker on the DPM server would not work, or would be a bad idea, I am presuming?

I am going to look at solution 2, I'm not sure my bosses would want to mess around with EFS.

Thanks

Jason A.

Jason A.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

DPM supports protecting bitlocker enabled volume on the protected servers, however, you cannot enable bitlocker on the DPM storage pool volumes.

• Marked as answer by Jason A_ Monday, October 24, 2011 4:06 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:36 PM
  • OK, thank you!
    Jason A.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:05 PM