none
Links to File Share from Promoted Links (Tiles view)

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to link to a local fileshare via the promoted links app.

When I am in the list view  (All promoted Links) I can press on the links and everything works, but if I change it to the Tiles view it does not work anymore.

I already tried it with all 3 Launch behaviors,but it dosent work with any of them. 

The links are typed in this format file://dnsName/folder/folder 

I hope someone can help

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Pascal90909, 

Activate the site Feature "SharePoint Server Publishing".

Site->Site Settings->Manage site features-> SharePoint Server Publishing->activate

Deactivate the Minimal Download Strategy feature.

Site->Site Settings->Manage site features-> Minimal Download Strategy->deactivate

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/19208352-c8e3-406d-a7c8-7c9c483c480d/sharepoint-2013-navigation-url-open-folder-on-network-disk?forum=sharepointadmin

http://www.sharepointpitstop.com/2014/01/navigationlink-error-network-fileshares.html

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, February 8, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hello Lisa,

I just activated the SharePoint Server Publishing feature and made also sure that the Minimal Download Strategy feature is disabled. But the links are still not working in Tiles view.

The Lunch Behavior is also set to New tab, but I also tried the other once with the same result

Monday, February 11, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Hi Pascal90909, 

Are you working in SharePoint online or SharePoint on premise?

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Pascal90909, 

Per my test, Links to File Share from Promoted Links(Tiles view)is working in SharePoint onpremise. 

While, Links to File Share from Promoted Links(Tiles view) is not working in SharePoint Online.

If you are working in SharePoint online, I would suggest you open a service request. 

Refer to the following article to open a service request:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/praveenkumar/2013/07/17/how-to-create-service-requests-to-contact-office-365-support/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Monday, February 18, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi Pascal90909, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hey Lisa,

thx for testing it too!

I had the same results. I migrated sites from our SharePoint On-premise to SharePoint Online and it worked on OnPrem but it doesn't work on SharePoint Online anymore 

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Hi Pascal90909, 

I could reproduce your issue in SharePoint online, I would suggest you open a service request. 

Refer to the following article to open a service request:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/praveenkumar/2013/07/17/how-to-create-service-requests-to-contact-office-365-support/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi Pascal90909, 

If my reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Friday, March 1, 2019 7:57 AM