none
access denied to browse Non VSS Datasource Writer folder RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

I have two server DPM 2010 3.0.8185.0 installed on Windows 2008 R2.

From DPM in the disaster recovery site (replica server) I can't browse system protection and BMR backup.

From DPM console i viewe this path

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_c41fd379-0cf8-4f50-b424-261c8d2e562f\c876fc69-991b-4fab-90ca-1d1ed465cec6\Full\C-Vol\

I can browse inside "vol_c41..." until "WindowsImageBackup" but if I try to go inside windows tell me access denied i have no permission.

I tried also "dpmbackup -replicas" and browse to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadow Copy\Non VSS Datasource Writer" but the problem is the same.

I need to copy to a usb disk the system state and bmr backup, how can I do?

Regards,

Luca Passioni

Luca Passioni

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Luca,

Could you try this :

1) Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2) Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3) Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return: nt authority\system
    4)  Now CD to the replica volume under program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy\...
    5)  Copy the BMR backup to a folder/network location

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Luca,

You need to connect with local administrator account or disable "User Account control" (Restart need).

Domain admin won't give you enought permission ^^

For UAC => Control panel/System and security/Change User account control settings

Then you will be able to browse DPM volumes and backup your data from C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadow Copy\Non VSS Datasource Writer" on USB disk.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

the UAC was already disable (never notify), look image attached.

But the problem persist, I tried to recreate the Protection Group and the run "dpmbackup -replicas".

Luca

Luca Passioni

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi Luca,

Did you restart your DPM server after set UAC to "Never notify" ?

Stephane

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

Yes the UAC WAS already disabled.

To be sure, I restart now the DPM Server but I continue to no access to folder.

I remember You that in the "Non VSS DataSource folder" there is a  system protection+bmr from a secondary dpm server.

Luca

Luca Passioni

Monday, November 5, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi Luca,

When you use DPMbackup.exe -replicas to expose your replica, your data are in "C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy" folder.

Edit: I made a test and I have the same behaviour... I will try to understand why :)

Edit2: When trying to take ownership of WindowsImageBackup through advanced Security Setting , I get "unable to set new owner on WindowsImageBackup - The media is write protected". All others Exposed replica are fine. It's seems that there is some security settings that prevent WindowsImageBackup to be modified on DPm server ?

Stephane.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Hi Luca,

Could you try this :

1) Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2) Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3) Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return: nt authority\system
    4)  Now CD to the replica volume under program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy\...
    5)  Copy the BMR backup to a folder/network location

Stephane

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:41 PM