Exchange 2010 - Standard Journaling - Inbound email from external senders not journaling since hybrid configured. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hope someone can help with this.

We have standard (per-database) journaling configured for each of our databases, the two journal mailboxes are processed by our Proofpoint Archive appliances. All was working fine until hybrid was configured, I have discovered that email sent from external senders isn't reaching the journal mailbox. All internal and outbound external email is journalled normally.

The inbound external emails are all delivered to the user mailboxes fine, so therefore must have been 'through the mailbox database' so why weren't they journaled???

Sean.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:55 AM

Answers

• Mail that goes to Exchange Online mailboxes doesn't go into a mailbox database in on-premises Exchange so mailbox database journaling won't catch those.  You could enable journaling in Office 365 or you could change your journaling method on premises to transport journaling.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 23, 2016 6:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 30, 2016 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 4:52 PM

All replies

• Mail that goes to Exchange Online mailboxes doesn't go into a mailbox database in on-premises Exchange so mailbox database journaling won't catch those.  You could enable journaling in Office 365 or you could change your journaling method on premises to transport journaling.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 23, 2016 6:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 30, 2016 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

While the hybrid has been set up, all mailboxes are still on-prem. I've configured Office 365 journaling for external email which is working fine, however, I'm not sure why mail that should still be 'transporting' through a mailbox database isn't being journalled.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:51 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "transporting".  Transport duties are handled by all transport (Exchange 2010 and earlier) and mailbox (Exchange 2013 and 2016) servers in the site regardless of where the database is mounted.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:38 PM