none
Creating a report to reflect overallocation of resources by task RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a report/view that shows for which tasks resources are overallocated. For instance, I'd like to know which tasks Resource 1 is assigned to that create an overallocation of hours for that week. The Resource Usage view shows what I need to see, but I'd like to filter out the weeks for which each resource is not overallocated and also get a clearer idea of which tasks are taking up the most of their time. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:44 PM

All replies

• abgross --

The Resource Usage view is where you can see this information most readily.  If you are using the Professional version of either Microsoft Project 2010 or 2013, you can also use the Team Planner view for this purpose.  Resource names formatting in red in either view should you overallocated resources.  In the Resource Usage view, Work hours formatted in red indicate the time periods during which the overallocation is occurring.  In the Team Planner view, Microsoft Project drags a red outline around the tasks in the time periods during which the overallocation is occurring.  One thing you cannot do in the Resource Usage view is to hide the time periods during which there is no overallocation.  You can zoom in or zoom out in the Resource Usage view to see overallocations on the daily, weekly, or monthly timescale as needed.

Also, it would really help if you told us what version of Microsoft Project you are using.  2007, 2010, 2013?  Please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:47 PM
  • Many suggestions but here is a start.

Have you tried any of the built in reports, such as the one named "Overallocated Resources"?
    How about filtering, grouping and sorting, or a combination?
    What you want has already been anticipated in the design of the software.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Hi,

I would start by using the Resource graph view and maybe display the details and in the details view include the task usage view? So you will get something like the screenshot below?

Hope this helps

Paul

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:09 PM