how to exclude certain folder from being redirected RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup folder redirection through group policy in our organization and we are using a mixed Server 2003/2008 environment with Windows 7 Professional workstations. I have specified that the following folders be redirected for all users:

App Data (Roaming)
    Contacts
    Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Favorites
    Links
    Music
    Pictures
    Saved Games
    Searches
    Videos

I have an application that we use to control the heating and cooling system for the building that is accessed via any web browser. The application creates a folder (.tracer) in the "C:\Windows\Users\USERNAME\" directory. This folder is being redirected to the server even though I have not specified that it be redirected. How can I get this folder to be created and kept as a local folder to the workstation?

Thanks,
    Mark

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you are currently using group policy in Windows Server 2003 or 2008 to setup folder redirection, I suggest you’d better redirecting this thread to Windows Server Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge nor learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:17 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:15 AM

All replies

• Is that definitely C:\Windows\Users\USERNAME\.tracer or should that be C:\Users\USERNAME\.tracer (which is the Windows 7 default).

Either way, then do you have UAC turned on? If so, UAC might be protecting the OS from allowing the application to write directly to the local disk, redirecting it to the approropriate cache under the user profile, which is why you're seeing it in the roaming profile.

Can you try running the app with admin elevation to see whether the behaviour changes?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:17 AM
  • You are correct. The folder is c:\Users\USERNAME\.tracer. My mistake!

I have tried to run this application with the domain admin, local admin and regular user account. It doesn't matter. If folder redirection is applied via group policy, the application fails to load (with UAC on and off)

I created three test users, all without folder redirection (same permissions as above).... One domain admin, one local admin and one regular user. All users can load the application flawlessly, even with UAC turned on.

Because this is a web application I do not have the ability to run with elevated privileges on each instance.

I was able to find a website from the software manufacturer that has the web application I'm referring to. This link is not to my server, but the software is exactly the same as what I'm using.

The application loads several Java files the first time it is launched. 

I feel like if I could get the .tracer folder that is created to remain local to the workstation, I could resolve the issue.

I have contacted our vendor, but their solution is to turn off folder redirection. I have too many users to turn off folder redirection.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hmm - OK, unfortunately Java apps are notoriously messy when it comes to dropping files all over the user profile.  The application is probably using the %USERPROFILE% variable to make certain files available to the user on launching the app.  When a user has a roaming profile, the %USERPROFILE% variable always points to the networked roaming profile - folder redirection doesn't come into the equation. 

It would be good if you can verify that this is indeed the case, but my guess is that without being able to directly change the behaviour of the application, you're not going to be able to get the functionality you're looking for.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:23 AM
  • Hi,

Since you are currently using group policy in Windows Server 2003 or 2008 to setup folder redirection, I suggest you’d better redirecting this thread to Windows Server Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge nor learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:17 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Do your resolve the problem?

Please feel free to give me any update.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:05 AM
  • The problem has not been resolved.

I posted in the windows server forum as you suggested.

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

I will mark my reply as answer. It could help other communities here who have the same issue.

Thanks for your cooperation and hope you will find the solution on Windows Server Forum.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:16 AM