dvd drive problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I've just installed vista, but after I rebooted, I went to computer, and my DVD drive had dissapeared. I checked device manager to find that it couldnt start because of a corrupt or missing driver (code 39). I went to the drivers folder and fould that the driver was there, so how could I fix it? I would reinstall but i've already reinstalled twice (mcafee problems, didnt read the part on the box where it said to download an update before installing it to vista) so I dont want to reinstall again (I'm also tired). Can anyone help me? If it helps, I'm using a TSSTcorp H552D dvd/RW drive on a compaq presario sr2019uk
    Monday, February 19, 2007 2:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• See if this KB article helps - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
    Monday, February 19, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Will that fix work for the latest version of vista aswell as beta 2?
    Monday, February 19, 2007 4:59 PM
  • It should.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Thank you very much, my dvd drive is working now!

Completely unrelated: I am amazed at how pretty the windows aero UI looks, and how good the tablet pc features work with my pen tablet!
    Monday, February 19, 2007 8:35 PM
  • I am having the same problem with Windows Vista Premium on a HP M7780n Media Center PC.

Unfortunatly the link above did not help.  When I uninstalled the drivers and re-dected them, them came back with the same issue.  Which is a missing or corrupt driver.  ANy thoughts how to replace the driver or what to do next?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:55 PM
  • My DVD driver problem is a little different.

After upgrading my Fujitsu LifeBook to Visa Business my DVD R/RW worked for a week. Now it shows a CD-ROM driver and will not function. My USB I/O Magic driver will also not install correctly. Fujitsu says that the driver comes from Windows and not from them. I have no way to search the Visa DVD for a replacement driver as I cannot access it and driver update does nothing. Any suggestions?  

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Try uninstalling the DVD drive in device manager and rebooting. On reboot Vista should find the drive and install the correct drivers.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:01 PM
  • It turns out that the registry entry for "Lower......" was there.  I deleted it and rebooted the machine.  The drives are fine now.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Uninstalling the DVD drive did not work. Had to edit the registry according to
    Article ID : 320553

Only the lower filter entry was there. Once deleted and system rebooted not only did the internal DVD reinstall correctly, so did my USB I/O Magic LightScribe. The LightScribe had never been able to attach before.

Thanks for the help!

Monday, February 26, 2007 1:01 AM