EDB Backup - Services needs to be stopped RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I am writing a script to take backup's on a server. We are running Exchange 2010, in order to take backup of EDB files should I need to stop any services ?

Because previously we had a Exchange 2003 server and we use to stop just POP3 and Information store services to take backup. But for Exchange 2010 I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

D

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't need to write a script to do the backup. I'm not even sure if stopping Exchange and then backing up the files used would provide a reliable DR solution, and definitely wouldn't want to rely on it to keep my job if the server died!

Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854(v=exchg.141).aspx which explains how you can backup Exchange 2010 (assuming it's running on at least server 2008) using the inbuilt Windows Backup. That uses VSS to backup Exchange and as such doesn't require it to be shutdown.

• Proposed as answer by Milan Gajic Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Unfortunately that's far from a straight forward since it depends on which options you've got installed. There's a complete list of all the Exchange services here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee423542(v=exchg.141).aspx with explanations of what they do, though in reality you'll probably only have a subset of them running.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Hi Sicilian,

Some services are Required and others are optional to Exchange 2010. From the above thread Keith provided, we can see the required services and optional services on Exchange 2010.

Besides, we can use test-servicehealth cmdlet to test whether all the Windows services that Exchange requires on a server have started.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:49 AM

All replies

• You shouldn't need to write a script to do the backup. I'm not even sure if stopping Exchange and then backing up the files used would provide a reliable DR solution, and definitely wouldn't want to rely on it to keep my job if the server died!

Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854(v=exchg.141).aspx which explains how you can backup Exchange 2010 (assuming it's running on at least server 2008) using the inbuilt Windows Backup. That uses VSS to backup Exchange and as such doesn't require it to be shutdown.

• Proposed as answer by Milan Gajic Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Hey Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the link it will resolve my issue. But just curious regarding what are the services needed to run Exchange 2010 ? In the services I see lot of Microsoft Exchange Services are running.

Any idea ?

Thanks

D

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Unfortunately that's far from a straight forward since it depends on which options you've got installed. There's a complete list of all the Exchange services here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee423542(v=exchg.141).aspx with explanations of what they do, though in reality you'll probably only have a subset of them running.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Hi Sicilian,

Some services are Required and others are optional to Exchange 2010. From the above thread Keith provided, we can see the required services and optional services on Exchange 2010.

Besides, we can use test-servicehealth cmdlet to test whether all the Windows services that Exchange requires on a server have started.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:49 AM