none
Robocopy users HomeDirectory from server1 to server2 RRS feed

• Question

• ROBOCOPY /E /R:0 "c:\data\users\jsmith" "\\server2\data\USERS\jsmith"

That is my command to copy them to another server. Is ther away to have like a text file that all users in that text will copy their homedirectory to the new server?
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:06 PM

Answers

• It will move it the next time the user logs in.  Tell users to be aware that the session may be a little slow while it Is copying.  On a fast network folders of a few hundred MB copy fairly rapidly.

Test this first to be sure your network is working correctly.

I highly recommend copying to a DFSR share as this will make future adjustments transparent to all.  You can also split storage under a DFSR root and allow DFSR to give you a merged view.  Files can be moved as needed and the users will always see the same share\folder.  DFSR also allows for a full dynamic mirror of the files.  All of this for some time spent configuring Windows.

Post any and all questions on GPO to the GP forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by creserva Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:12 PM

All replies

• You can do it with a script file however your robocopy command is incorrect and robocopy can copy all users without a file.

Note that RoboCopy is a utility and not a script.

You might also want to be aware that Group Policy can do this seamlessly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd793612.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:31 PM
  • OH Yeah I should remove the " no need right because no space. I was wondering if anyone has a script that list all users then do a robocopy from one server to new server in same domain just moving to another server.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Again it is a utility question and not a scripting question.

ROBOCOPY  c:\data\users \\server2\data\USERS *.* /E /R:0

Post in the platform forum for your OS for assistance with system utilities.

I suggest asking your network admin to explain why we would use Group Policy for this. If you don't have a trained Network Admin then you might want to get the assistance of a trained consultant or post you question in the Group Policy forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:50 PM
  • Sorry mate still learning new in IT industry. Yes I have Group Policy setup already for their My Docs redirection. Just checking on someone input on what commands to use for robocopy. Thanks for you time. 
    Monday, October 20, 2014 8:36 PM
  • "My Documents" is the home drive.  HomeDrive is only a legacy default pointer.  We usually set it to point to MyDocuments.  By default it points to the users profile folder.

All of this should and MUST be set inn Group Policy.

To move this point home drive to My Documents.

If you are trying to move an old incorrectly pointed system  then just point My documents GP setting  at the current user folder then, after a few logons, repoint it to the new location.  Windows will correctly set everything for you and move all of the files.

To use RoboCopy post in the platform forum for your OS and they will help you with RoboCopy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:46 PM
  • Actually the My Documents of users are already in the server. I just got to move those DATA on server1 to server2. 
    Monday, October 20, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Just change it in Group Policy.  The system will move it and update all user profile settings.  Inn Windows we do not do this with a utility or a script.  That is one thing GP was designed to do. It has done this since Windows 2000.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Really! That awesome even the DATA is on server1 it will move the data from server1 to server2? The group policy for users is set to \\server1\data\users\%username%\my docucments. so changing that to \\server2\data\users\%username%\my documents will move all data?
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:46 PM
  • It will move it the next time the user logs in.  Tell users to be aware that the session may be a little slow while it Is copying.  On a fast network folders of a few hundred MB copy fairly rapidly.

Test this first to be sure your network is working correctly.

I highly recommend copying to a DFSR share as this will make future adjustments transparent to all.  You can also split storage under a DFSR root and allow DFSR to give you a merged view.  Files can be moved as needed and the users will always see the same share\folder.  DFSR also allows for a full dynamic mirror of the files.  All of this for some time spent configuring Windows.

Post any and all questions on GPO to the GP forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by creserva Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:12 PM
  • I had setup few share folder on DFSR, but I have not really thought about using on users HomeDirectory. Thanks for you help and information I really appreciate it. 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:27 PM
  • I had setup few share folder on DFSR, but I have not really thought about using on users HomeDirectory. Thanks for you help and information I really appreciate it. 

I a sure if you take the full Admin Certification training or at least read the manuals you will find many bits that will show you how to make administration painless and reliable.

AD and Windows Server have evolved over the last few decades.  They anticipate almost everything you need.  If you need it ask yourself what WS has in the product that is designed to solve your problem.  Remember that we are all seeing the same needs and have since the first computer system was built.  There is seldom a need to work hard except when you are on the wrong path. 

Learn the server product and its subsystems and learn AD and GP.  Research how they are designed to work together to assist the Admin.  I guarantee it will get you many raises and make you the hero.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:55 PM
  • I have been in IT industry for 7 years and I've only been an net admin role for 3 years now and there alot to learn for me. I do need to take some Certs I plan to do sometime in near future.  Anyway I could chat you sometimes?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:09 AM