Getting the usual "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many forums....a very long 1 from here as well ... but none help me. I will tell what happened to me because it seems very complicated to fix !

I have 1 320gb harddisk on my laptop partitioned into 2 200gb and 100gb HDDs ... The 200gb was the windows disk (windows vista ultimate SP1) and the 100gb was used as storage. I went ahead and moved all files from storage to the 200gb disk and installed windows 7 on the 100gb used-to-be-storage disk. Then, I moved all the storage to the 100gb disk again to format the 200gb then finally, for the last time, move the storage to the 200gb disk and i'll be done.

All worked well until I wanted to format the 200gb disk which contained the vista ultimate files. The Format tool (while i was on windows 7) did not allow formatting of the 200gb partition and turned it to a RAW drive. I restarted the laptop and i got that " A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart" error.

I tried booting from a windows XP disk to use its formatter but it does not detect a harddisk. Ofcourse...the problem is from the vista raw drive....All i want is to have 200gb empty partition and the 100gb windows 7 partition intact with NO LOSS OF DATA.... I feel this is a lot more complex than the other problems...any way to fix it without having to get a new HDD ??? plz help. Thank you.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Roy,

You've reached the forum for the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit.  While your inquiry is unrelated to the MAP Toolkit, we do understand that you want to get your issue resolved quickly.

We recommend that you visit this link (Window XP Solution Center) to get technical support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

In addition, you may find this article helpful:
    "How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Thanks,
    MAP Toolkit Team
    BNg
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Hi folks,

Recently, I've been confronted with the same problem as Roy....My computer worked perfectly, only used it for some information and inbox-checking, when that frustrating error occured. I've been seeking help everywhere, but nowere I can get a good answer, even the links that Microsoft sent me regarding this problem.
     I only get to know that I must run a disk error check-up, but how can I even do that if the com won't even startup normally? Seems totally illogical.....  I just want to know the answers of  why that error occured and HOW it could be resolved properly.

Thanking you in advance,
    A really hung up, distraught computer-user (now laptop)

omputer:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Build 2006
    BIOS 1.0.3
    Proccesor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Proccesor 3800
    Memory: 1.0 GB
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:27 PM