none
Got 10013 while creating socket via loopback IP 127.0.0.1, and got general error while pinging 127.0.0.1

Question

• Hi experts,

I recently got an annoy symptom. On my system, I can not use loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 to establish socket and got 10013 error code. If I use the IP address assigned by DHCP to the same system, the socket can be established.

Further checking shows I can not ping 127.0.0.1 as well, it will return "general failure" as below:

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.

The system is a Hyper-V VM guest OS, running a 32bit windows 10 enterprise, version 1607 build 14393.693.

I have disabled the windows defender, online update the hyper-V network driver, but all of them don't help.

I also test some suggestion got from internet, such as /flushdns,  netsh int ipv4 reset, etc, still can not resolve the issue.

Please advise, thank you very much in advance!

Thursday, March 9, 2017 12:39 AM

Answers

• The issue is fixed by set the firewall on with recommended setting. I think there might be something tricky in the setting for firewall. Simply turn on the firewall will not help, but when I use the button to turn on firewall with recommended settings, localhost and 127.0.01 can be pinged. And turn off the firewall will not make the issue reproduced any more.
    • Marked as answer by Xiaobin Kong Friday, April 21, 2017 6:48 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi xiaobin kong,

Please run sfc /scannow on the problematic machines, check if there are corrupted or missing system files.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:42 AM
  • The issue is fixed by set the firewall on with recommended setting. I think there might be something tricky in the setting for firewall. Simply turn on the firewall will not help, but when I use the button to turn on firewall with recommended settings, localhost and 127.0.01 can be pinged. And turn off the firewall will not make the issue reproduced any more.
    • Marked as answer by Xiaobin Kong Friday, April 21, 2017 6:48 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 6:48 PM
  • I tried that and it didn't work for me, so what I am trying now is to replace the "modern" hyper-v network card with a legacy one and see if it happens again.  (For me, this issue seems to appear about once a month and can only be fixed by rebooting the guest.)
    Friday, May 25, 2018 4:52 PM