locked
Outlook / Exchange 2016 Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have seen lots of people with this issue and fixes they have preformed. I have tried to preform many different fixes to no end.

    Is there a solution that works that we are sure of?

    I have a small exchange server with about 15 users and every single user is getting these errors when they search.

    The one thing that does work is if I disable cached mode and restart outlook I can run searches but these searches run strictly on the exchange server and seems performance might eventually get affected?

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Steven

    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:09 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    What steps have you tried so far?
    According to your description, there are some suggestions for you:
    1. Recreate your OST files.
    2. Rebuild Outlook Index via clicking File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Advanced > Rebuild.
    3. Start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    4. Repair your Office installation.
    5. Install available updates for both Office and Windows.

    Hope this can be helpful.


    Regards,

    Aidan Wang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.


    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 8:52 AM
  • 1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Always Try First lol.

    I can most likely mark 1 off the list as well as If I setup a new computer with a fresh copy of outlook tied to our exchange server and get the same error. I even tried the set server to unencrypted connection then rebuild index. Then go set it to index encrypted files and set back to encrypted.

    As of this email I decided to login to exchange online since none of our users use it and I get the error there as well so seems it would be on the exchange server itself. 
    "An Error occurred while searching please try again later"
    I know the search indexes are built and not corrupted so any idea what I might check next?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    >>As of this email I decided to login to exchange online since none of our users use it and I get the error there as well 
    What do you mean by Exchange online, is it OWA?

    It is also suggested to change the search scope or set different search criteria and see if the error message would show again.
    Besides, considering there are lots of people encounter this issue, it is suggested to temporarily turn off antivirus program and see if there is any difference.


    Regards, 

    Aidan Wang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Index rebuild worked for me.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 12:45 PM