Server 2016 Essentials Evaulation RRS feed

• Question

• Downloaded the Server 2016 Essentials Evaluation.  When trying to upgrade from 2012 R2 I'm asked for a key.  Using the key from the evaluation page doesn't work.

Need a fix.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• From the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Evaluations followed the links in the Preinstall Information section found Before You Install Windows Server Essentials

"[!IMPORTANT]
    >  Before you install  Windows Server Essentials on a pre-existing computer, we recommend that you fully format and then repartition the hard disks of the pre-existing computer. By formatting and repartitioning the hard disks, you remove the possibility that hidden partitions remain on the hard disks."

So it appears no upgrade path. So what are you trying to upgrade? No upgrade paths announced from 2012 Essentials it appears to me.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:25 PM
  • From the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Evaluations followed the links in the Preinstall Information section found Before You Install Windows Server Essentials

"[!IMPORTANT]
    >  Before you install  Windows Server Essentials on a pre-existing computer, we recommend that you fully format and then repartition the hard disks of the pre-existing computer. By formatting and repartitioning the hard disks, you remove the possibility that hidden partitions remain on the hard disks."

So it appears no upgrade path. So what are you trying to upgrade? No upgrade paths announced from 2012 Essentials it appears to me.

Server 2016 Essentials has an upgrade path from 2012 R2 Essentials.  See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths.

The problem is that the Activation Key R9N79-23MWD-MBP9B-KHF8Q-C36WXdoesn't work for either an Upgrade or a Clean install.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows Server 2016 Essentials(evaluation version) failed to be activated using the product key mentioned in “Preinstall information”.

I will report your feedback to relate product team for further confirmation. 

Thank you for your understanding and patience. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Now that WS 2016 Essentials is out.  I downloaded WSE 2016 from the evaluation site and used the Product Key under Pre-Install information (Product Key on the site: R9N79-etc.. etc.. ... -C36WX). It seems that this product key does not work. After several failed "unattended" attempts and I didn't know the origin of the problem, I tried an 'attended' install on an old computer and I realized the problem was with this product key on the site (I kept getting the message "This product key didn't work..."). Does someone know when this problem will be fixed? Of course, nobody will be able to use the product until we have a 'valid' product key. So, I would think this is urgent.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:23 PM
  • Are people trying to upgrade from a retail version of SBS using an Eval version? Surely moving to a new server build would require a software assurance license or a new key?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hi, 

New product key “NCPR7-K6YH2-BRXYM-QMPPQ-3PF6X” has been released for Windows Server 2016 Essentials evaluation.

Check below link, the "Preinstall information" section:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016-essentials

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Hi,

Trying to install windows 2016 essentials evaluation to a headless server, to debug I'm using an old computer. The autounattend start the installation but stop on the "This product key didn't work..." message. I don't understand why, the same key works fine when installing without autounattend (the one given above). 

I use the headlessunattend.xml provided with the iso image (suppport\samples\headlessunattend.xml). I fill in the questions in comment, admin pwd, computer name, and the product key where requested. I renamed it autounattend.xml and put it at the root of disk. 

It's strange that the same key is working fine with standard install and refused with unattended install. May be, i'm doing something wrong in the autounattend file. But what? If someone could give a hint...

Thanks,
    lostinwhs.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Trying to install windows 2016 essentials evaluation to a headless server, to debug I'm using an old computer. The autounattend start the installation but stop on the "This product key didn't work..." message. I don't understand why, the same key works fine when installing without autounattend (the one given above). 

I use the headlessunattend.xml provided with the iso image (suppport\samples\headlessunattend.xml). I fill in the questions in comment, admin pwd, computer name, and the product key where requested. I renamed it autounattend.xml and put it at the root of disk. 

It's strange that the same key is working fine with standard install and refused with unattended install. May be, i'm doing something wrong in the autounattend file. But what? If someone could give a hint...

Thanks,
    lostinwhs.

Well do not know what could cause your issue. Suggest you post a new thread in the Windows 2016 Server forum (this is the Technical Preview so the a new forum has been setup since server 2016 was released)

Windows Server 2016 General

A new thread will get more reads and hopefully someone with knowledge of the headless install would see it.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:04 PM