none
Error trying to connect to VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Can anyone help me with this error i got from one of my VM

It says that the virtual machine failed to start because there is not enough disk space.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:44 PM

Answers

•  there is not enough disk space.

Ehlo Engrjainno,

Are you using hyper-v replica? Can you look in the folder where you hyper-v VHD files are and see if the VHD files are taking up all the disk space of the physical server or do you have a bunch of AVHDX files taking up space?

Common causes of this are:

• Plain old ran out of space, in this case move the storage to another volume or the VM to another host.
    • Replication is stalled and AVDHX's are backlogged. In this case, cancel hyper-v replica and the aVHDX files will merge and be deleted.
    • You had a snapshot and tried to merge without sufficient disk space. Follow this guide if that's the case.

Regardless, provide more details. It's difficult to assist when the questions is vague.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Friday, June 26, 2020 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Engrjainno Tuesday, July 14, 2020 8:16 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

1.If you can, check the folder you've got the machines stored in. You'll might find one or more files with a AVHDX file type. These are the checkpoints. In the Hyper-V Manager GUI, there's an option to merge under the hard drive utility.

2.Ensure you have a backup of the VHDX, ensure the VM is shutdown, then from within Hyper-V manager, you can perform a compact on the VHDX. 

3.If your VHD is fixed type and it can not compact any space any more, you should re-create a bigger VHD and them copy this old VHD to this new one, and re-create the VM with this new vhd.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently using fail-over cluster for my virtual machines and yes I found two avhdx files with the hard disk image. Each avhdx files are about 7MB and the Hard drive is 42GB.

Hello again, two 7Mb files are not of much consequence. It may just be that the host server does not have sufficient space to accommodate all your VM's.  if you created expanding VM's and their combined max exceeds the available host storage capacity, you will run out of disk space as the VM's grow in size and together they exceed the available host storage space.

Try to clear some hard disk space on the host server by removing unnecessary files but that is just a temporary fix. You may want to move the VM to another volume that has more storage space.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check Hyper-V Physical Machine Guest VM created drive have enough disk space or not.

Still not resolved the issue check the Hyper-V server windows event log for fix the issue

Hyper-V event log path

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/community/team-blog/2018/20180123-looking-at-the-hyper-v-event-log-january-2018-edition

Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:32 PM
  •  there is not enough disk space.

Ehlo Engrjainno,

Are you using hyper-v replica? Can you look in the folder where you hyper-v VHD files are and see if the VHD files are taking up all the disk space of the physical server or do you have a bunch of AVHDX files taking up space?

Common causes of this are:

• Plain old ran out of space, in this case move the storage to another volume or the VM to another host.
    • Replication is stalled and AVDHX's are backlogged. In this case, cancel hyper-v replica and the aVHDX files will merge and be deleted.
    • You had a snapshot and tried to merge without sufficient disk space. Follow this guide if that's the case.

Regardless, provide more details. It's difficult to assist when the questions is vague.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

• Edited by Miguel Fra Friday, June 26, 2020 3:22 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

1.If you can, check the folder you've got the machines stored in. You'll might find one or more files with a AVHDX file type. These are the checkpoints. In the Hyper-V Manager GUI, there's an option to merge under the hard drive utility.

2.Ensure you have a backup of the VHDX, ensure the VM is shutdown, then from within Hyper-V manager, you can perform a compact on the VHDX. 

3.If your VHD is fixed type and it can not compact any space any more, you should re-create a bigger VHD and them copy this old VHD to this new one, and re-create the VM with this new vhd.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:13 AM
  • I checked the event log just like what the article said and the event ID i got is 16300 

Cannot load a virtual machine configuration: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID AD36D216-2E8B-44EB-AD05-0EAF713B4CA9)

Friday, June 26, 2020 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently using fail-over cluster for my virtual machines and yes I found two avhdx files with the hard disk image. Each avhdx files are about 7MB and the Hard drive is 42GB.

Friday, June 26, 2020 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Hello again, two 7Mb files are not of much consequence. It may just be that the host server does not have sufficient space to accommodate all your VM's.  if you created expanding VM's and their combined max exceeds the available host storage capacity, you will run out of disk space as the VM's grow in size and together they exceed the available host storage space.

Try to clear some hard disk space on the host server by removing unnecessary files but that is just a temporary fix. You may want to move the VM to another volume that has more storage space.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:43 PM
  • Shut down your virtual machine. In Workstation, go to VM > Settings > Network Adapter. Ensure that the network adapter is connected (that is, the Connected and Connect at power on options are selected). Ensure that the network adapter is configured for NAT or Bridged, and not Host Only.
    Friday, June 26, 2020 4:14 PM
  • Thank you Miguel.

I deleted temporary files and increased the storage and now I am able to start the VM.

Thank you all a bunch

Friday, June 26, 2020 5:17 PM
  • You're welcome!

<Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.>

Monday, June 29, 2020 1:31 AM