Connecting SharePoint Calendar to Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I've connected calendars to Outlook before quite easily by going to the calendar, clicking "Actions" then "Connect to Outlook".

I'm attempting the same thing today and everything pulls through, although in outlook the calendar appears under "Lists" and its Type is "Document Library". Therefore it does not appear in Outlook under calendars and is not available in a calender view.

This is undoubtedly due to the calendar being populated with .XML files (the entries are created through infopath).

The question is, how can I make the SharePoint calendar appear as a Calendar in Outlook instead of a list (document library)?

Many thanks.

Rob

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• I suspect that this is an issue with the content types that are associated with the list itself or being applied to the items in that list. It sounds like your SharePoint list is was created using the Document Library template, and then someone created a Calendar view for the items in that list. The problem is that Outlook connections are based on the list template that was used to create the list (Contact list templates tells Outlook to treat the data in the list as Contacts, Calendar list templates for Calendar data, etc).

I don't think you'll be able to get that existing document library to connect to Outlook as a Calendar, it is always going to connect a list created with the Document Library template as a folder, no matter what views exist for the list. You'd have to recreate the list using the Calendar list template, or create a custom list template based on the Calendar list template that combines it with the document library functionality you're wanting through custom development.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:06 PM