none
Removing Resources from top-level Team RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using Project Server 2013 and need to remove all resources from a finished project. I am unable to remove any resource from the time-booking area if they have booked at a task-level within the project's plan.

How can I remove these resources without losing the time they've booked to the project? Is it simply a case of just removing them from the tasks in the plan?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Basically you don't remove the resources from the project team because you do want to keep the history. Quite often, the option to lock the actuals from the timesheet is activated so you can anyway remove actuals, so you cannot either remove resources. You might just set any remaining work to 0.

Then the question is : what do you want to achieve by removing the resources from the project? Depending on what you are trying to do, here are several options:

• Unpublishing the tasks of the project
    • Lock the task of the project
    • Set the booking type as proposed for resources on the project
    • Archive the project with this procedure

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Basically, I want to both remove the ability to book more time to the project, and to remove the project from the list of projects to choose from in their timesheets (i.e. de-clutter their timesheet view).

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Edited by ASQU Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:57 AM
  • So you might put in place an "archiving" procedure after project closure: you could lock tasks so users will not be able anymore to enter actual time against those tasks, then archive the project with procedure given above (security category).

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

I've locked every task, but I've tested being a delegate for a resource and while the ability to book at task-level has disappeared as expected, I can still book to the top-level of the project.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:37 AM
  • That's why you should unpublish tasks and create an "archived" security category to make the archived projects invisible.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:43 AM
  • excuse ignorance but what do you mean by 'unpublish' tasks?  

If I create an archived security category, would time booked to it still be visible in our SQL timesheet extract report?

And would I still be able to easily access any documentation stored in the project site of an archived project?

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Unpublishing consists in inserting the "publish" column in MS Project and set the value to NO for all tasks.

Yes for both questions: archiving a project with a security categories keeps it as is, but makes it invisble for non-admin users, meaning it will still be part of your reports (if you want to). Since the project and the site still exists after the archive process, all documentation remains.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:12 AM
  • What is the different end result between locking the task which I've done, and unpublishing the tasks?

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:16 AM
  • See the details in the following article from MPUG:

http://www.mpug.com/articles/how-to-remove-completed-and-cancelled-projects-and-tasks-from-timesheets-in-project-server/

That being said, I'd suggest you to test it step by step before putting it in production.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:20 AM