none
Favourites displays sub folders but all links from sub folders have dissapeared RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an pc account on a second pc using my Microsoft live account. After logging in on the second pc on the second day I noticed the my desktop from the first pc was copied over and my sub folders from favourites from my first pc. However, all the links from the sub folders have disappeared on both PCs. I was testing Office 365 deployment for the company and was not expecting this changes to happen like the desktop wallpaper. Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks Michael.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, Microsoft Account profile sync need some time, please be patient, in addition, you can also check if other settings and profile synced successfully.

If problem persists, try to reboot your PC for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. This issue has been happening over a few weeks and I have left my PC on overnight so I am not sure what is going on. If I add new links on one PC and then another some more links on another PC it wipes out the first set of links from both PCs. This is relation to the favourites sub folders in IE 11. Re booting  and resetting the favourites folder has made no difference.

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:38 AM
  • Hi,

How about your problem now? Maybe you can try to check Event Viewer if it identify the problem. In addition, if you turn off Sync settings in PC Settings, would this problem occures?

What's your network enviroment, did you join your computer to domain?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:52 AM
  • all the links from the sub folders have disappeared on both PCs

That symptom is known to be associated with some long-running programs.  It is tricky to diagnose unless you know the frequency so you can catch when it is being done or just get lucky by watching for unexpected Handle contention...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/favorites-bar-link-urls-dissappear/cec569c3-12d4-4f9e-b3b8-7d1ada95974a

I think the only feasible alternative would be using Auditing to find out who writes .url files.  E.g. Audit just a few that get clobbered frequently and are frequently used.  Another suggestion I have made is marking the .URL files Read-Only and see if that either stops whatever is doing it or helps identify it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:04 AM
    Answerer