none
Bug - PE unloads after 3 days, and it is configured to behave that way. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Process Explorer 16.22
    Windows 10 Home x64 build 1809

I configured PE to load on Windows startup, and it does that.  That setting in PE creates a scheduled event in Task Scheduler to run PE on logon.  After awhile, I noticed PE wasn't running anymore.  If I restarted Windows, PE showed up again.  I decided to look more closely at the scheduled event.

When I got to the Settings tab, there was the cause.  PE configured the task with the following setting:

Stop the task if it runs for longer than:  3 days

Why does PE need to stop 3 days after it was started.  Windows' Task Manager runs indefinitely.  As long as the user is logged in, and with taskmgr.exe as a startup item, Task Manager runs for as long as the Windows session remains active (during the entire login).  I leave my computer running 24x7.  Why can't PE run 24x7 (every day forever)?

For now, I disabled the "Stop the task if it runs for longer" setting.  I want PE to load on me logging into my Windows account and I want it to stay loaded during that entire Windows session.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 12:03 PM

All replies

• That's just the default when you create a new scheduled task..

If you are not happy with that settings simply create your own task with the same settings as PE does without that one..

HTH
    -mario

Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:43 PM