Hard Drive Transfer Speeds in Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I just clean installed Windows Vista Ultimate. My transfer speeds for copy and paste between partitions is around 6.2 MB/sec. Transfer speeds for copy and paste within the same partition is around 10 MB/sec, though it takes a good 1-2 minutes to get up to that.

I am pretty sure my speeds used to be much higher than that on XP, and that they should be much higher than that. Can you guys tell me the speeds that you generally get? If mine is slow, and you think you know why, could you suggest why you think so. Is it possible my motherboard is bottlenecking it? Or drivers aren't up to date?

All information and help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Humbick

Friday, September 14, 2007 5:36 AM

All replies

• Go to the Vista UI section of the forum and read the 29 page thread "Calculating time remaining to move/copy/delete". The recommendations listed and a couple of hotfixes work for some folks but not all. There is a definite disparity in copy/move/delete operations between Vista and XP. High and mighty Microsoft has little to say about the problem.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:46 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response. I will try to find it and see if anything helps.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:51 AM