unintuitive multiple file selection dialog box RRS feed

• Question

• has anyone noticed how broken the multiple file selection box is when selecting multiple files one by one? say, for example I have file1 file2 file3 file4 and file5. if I select file1, then file2, then file 3, then file4, then file5; the selection box returns file5, file1, file2, file3, file4.
    heaven forbid the files are unordered (e.g. sorted by date), like file4 file3 file1 file2 file5, if I select them in order by name, as before, I get file5 file4 file3 file1 file2. 

I tried making sense of this psychosis by actually watching how the files are ordered when selected. here are the, disturbing, results

selected file1 -> output file1
    selected file2 -> output file2 file1 
    selected file3 -> output file3 file1 file2 **note the aft pair swap here**
    selected file4 -> output file4 file3 file1 file2
    selected file5 -> output file5 file4 file3 file1 file2

I think it would have been better if the file selection code was written by a team of chimpanzees. that way, when you've got files 1 2 3 4 5 selected as files 5 4 3 1 2, you can say "What do you expect, it was written by a bunch of chimps!"

you'll have to excuse the vitriol in this message. this problem has existed since Windows 98, over 20 years ago, and hasn't been fixed. we've got computers that can best the greatest Jeopardy champions, that can beat the greatest chess GrandMasters, that support a large portion of our lives; and in over 20 years they still haven't figured out how to properly order files that are selected?

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:36 PM

All replies

• an update: if I try to outsmart the dialog box by selecting files 4 5 3 2 1, it gives the following output

file4 -> file4
    file5 -> file5 file4
    file3 -> file3 file5 file4
    file2 -> file2 file5 file4 file3
    file1 -> file1 file2 file5 file4 file3 

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

For a better understanding, you may capture some related screenshots:

How to capture a screenshot

=========================

1)       Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)       Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)      In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)       The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)       Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

6)       Then Upload to SkyDrive.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:01 AM