How to view MDX for PivotTable? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating PivotTable based on cube and it allows me to drag dimensions and measures from field list. But how to view underlying MDX it is creating?
    To try I've put
    ;Log File=C:\Log.txt;
     in connection string for PivotTable but the log file is not created when report is run in MSS.

This question I'm asking because I guess PPS Dashboard level filters can be applied to axes available in PivotTable mdx. for example, if filter is linked to columns in PivotTable then the filter will apply to columns. If there are no dimensions on filter section in PivotTable then linking dashboard level filters to filter of PivotTable report will not work.
    Is above understanding correct?

Regards
    Rasik Fulzele
    Friday, December 12, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers

•  A quick way to get at the MDX within your Excel file is to utilize a nice utility that has been made available on CodePlex called OLAP PivotTable Extensions.  This is an an Excel 2007 add-in which extends the functionality of PivotTables on Analysis Services cubes. The Excel 2007 API has certain PivotTable functionality which is not exposed in the UI. OLAP PivotTable Extensions provides an interface for some of this functionality.

Or Marco Russo has a nice blog posting here that you can take a look at - Display the MDX query of an Excel 2007 PivotTable.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan English Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:52 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:44 PM