none
PWA: concurrent access to projects RRS feed

• Question

• Apologies if this is a dumb question, but have just started using PWA and am struggling a bit to get to grips with it.  Is it possible to set up projects so that they can be edited by two people more or less at the same time, or is the check-out, edit, check-in workflow the only way?  I had a problem last night where one of my team members shut down his browser and went home, leaving the project still checked out to him so I was unable to do any work on it.

Steve

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry it is not possible to work on one project plan with more then on person. As soon as the project is checked out by one person you can only open that project read-only. If someone like your team member opens the project and leaves it checked out you can always force checkin the project. However be aware that this might cause work to be lost.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

• Proposed as answer by ARaja Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by steve.watkins Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry it is not possible to work on one project plan with more then on person. As soon as the project is checked out by one person you can only open that project read-only. If someone like your team member opens the project and leaves it checked out you can always force checkin the project. However be aware that this might cause work to be lost.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

• Proposed as answer by ARaja Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by steve.watkins Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hey,

If you have the check-in-my projects option enable, then you can force check in the project opened by your team member. But as Robin said that if that member has not saved his changes then the data might be lost. 

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Thanks for the answers Robin & Amit!

I've found out how do to the force check-in now so that's helpful.  I can force the check-in but my team member doesn't have that option on his Server Settings page so I assume that's controlled by his user account somehow and I'd have to ask the IT administrators to get that changed?

Steve

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Being able to force check-in project is controlled by permissions. The team member does not have enough right to do force check-in. You can change it, but I would recommend you don't. Force check-in can cause loss of data and only should be used if you don't have any other option for example your teammember checked out the project and is not aviavable to check it back in. It is best to keep this permission with administrators.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for the response Robin.  I figured that would be the answer.  I'm more familiar with a project managment application that allows true concurrent access so users can edit their parts of the plan simultaneously, so it's taking a bit of adjustment to get used to the MS Project Server way of doing things.

Steve

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:08 AM