Nero or any burning software RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had any luck with being able to burn using Windows Beta 7? I have been unsuccessful in installing Nero. It essentially just hands during the installation of the software. I was hoping to install some type of burning software so that I can test appropriatley.
    I normally burn ISO's, IMG's, and make backups of my dvd's (Bup, Vob, IFO) files... Any ideas? I know windows has support to burn but have not been able to figure it out. 
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

• I've had luck installing and burning with Nero 7, 8 and 9 on my 3 test machines.  Nero 7 and 9 were installed on 64-bit systems, Nero 8 on a 32-bit system.  I have been able to burn audio CD's, data CD's, and encoded and burned an avi file to a video DVD.  The one hitch I've had with Nero is that I got an out of memory error using the Nero 8's Recode program.  IMGburn is a must have, and I still use it for ISO's, even with Win7's built in support for them.  DVDFab also works fine.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:52 PM

All replies

• I have installed and successfully burned several discs.  I have not used Nero as it doesnt work right.  From what is said of the new ISO burner.  You just double click on the ISO file.  I have not gotten it to work myself.  Maybe this will be of some assistance.

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hi, I use ImgBurn

http://www.imgburn.com/

It works great with W7 and have used to burn several ISOs.
    It's a versatile burner which burns a variety of image files. Good luck.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I just burned & verified the Win7 iso with Nero 9... running on Win7

Worked just fine, but that's the only DVD I've burned so far.

Windows 7 32bit beta
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:45 PM
  • I've had luck installing and burning with Nero 7, 8 and 9 on my 3 test machines.  Nero 7 and 9 were installed on 64-bit systems, Nero 8 on a 32-bit system.  I have been able to burn audio CD's, data CD's, and encoded and burned an avi file to a video DVD.  The one hitch I've had with Nero is that I got an out of memory error using the Nero 8's Recode program.  IMGburn is a must have, and I still use it for ISO's, even with Win7's built in support for them.  DVDFab also works fine.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:52 PM
  • So you have been able to install Nero on your Windows 7 machine? I am not looking for how you burned Windows 7, I am looking to see what burning software people are using on Windows 7. If you installed Nero can you tell me which version you installed on Windows 7?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:57 PM
  • I have installed / used(ing) Nero8 in W7 (x86). I kept having the windows installer crash on me which in turn caused the Nero installer to fail with an error (to the effect: You need to install MS Visual studio redistrib C++ SP1 package). This turned out to be an MS installer problem and found that a reg key needed to be removed. If that is your case follow these steps: (for any application that causes the MS installer to crash)

Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

Press Enter to install the solution.

If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two

hope this helps.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:25 PM
  • I downloaded the nero 9 trial to try it! Which wouldnt install at all on the 64bit beta  it just hung!!!
    Tried again this time selecting to install only the burning rom & cover designer parts! Worked a dream!!!
    Up and runnin & burning well!!!
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:58 PM
  • I'm happily using Roxio Creator 10 Basic Edition that came on a DVD a couple of years ago.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:06 AM
  • InfraRecorder is a free (GPL) CD and DVD burner. Works well for what I do.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:09 AM
  • I've happily installed Nero versions 7 (on 64-bit), Nero 8 (on 64-bit) and Nero 9 (on 32-bit).  Using all, and the only issue has been Nero Recode on the 32-bit install (out of memory error).
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:22 AM
  • I've been using CDBurnerXP for burning ISOs, data and vob files. The app
    is freeware and it works with Windows 7 beta.

Michael Mckeown
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I just did a drag and drop.  It burnt ok.  The DVD burner I used was not internal, It was a USB burner.  I could not even get Nero to install.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:43 PM
  • I used nero 9 and it works fine .Remember Windows 7 is a Beta .I herd people saying that there was no problems in the Operating System well after reading lots of sites online and boy it looks like vista did .
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:24 AM
  • CDBurnerXP was recommended by an IT techy mate of mine and it works great on all Windows platforms including Win7 beta.  Its much much less bloated than Nero etc.  I have never really got on with Nero, and i'm really pleased to have been told about CDBurnerXP.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I bought Nero 8 some days ago and had no problems installing it on Win 7 x64. I didn't test the whole suite, but burning is fine.

In some dialogue boxes output is distorted, but this could be an issue with ATI's Win 7 beta driver.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Stepinsky said:

I bought Nero 8 some days ago and had no problems installing it on Win 7 x64. I didn't test the whole suite, but burning is fine.

In some dialogue boxes output is distorted, but this could be an issue with ATI's Win 7 beta driver.

Sadly, it seems generic burning is about the only thing that works.  I've tried using both Recode and Vision.  Recode throws the "Out of Memory" error, and Vision can't even begin transcoding an .avi file.  The same source material burns perfectly fine in Vista.  Oh well, that's why its beta, after all.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Installed Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate today and it's working fine. At least now. First the main Roxio application did not want to load. So I tried opening a couple of the applications independently and that was OK. I checked for updates with both apps and only one found an update. Since then the main application will load fine too.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:52 AM
  • For me, Roxio Creator Premier 9 works fine.  I have not tried any other CD/DVD burning apps.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:08 AM
  • I'm using Ashampoo Burning Studio Free - no issues
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I installed Nero 7 Essentials that came with my DVD Burner on W7 32Bit, it works great for CD's, Data DVD's, Video DVD's, and both types of ISO files.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:59 AM
  • nero 8 working perfectly fine for me. ive burned at least 60 cds in the last week with out one issue while having multiple instances of the program open at once
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:45 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 x64 and Nero 8.0.3.0 and it works just fine. 

ScreenShot

Shon
    Monday, January 26, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Running Roxio 2009 on Windows 7 x64 with no issues.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 2:29 AM
  • my having problem with cdburnerxp after it completes a disk.  it completes the burn, says its done, then errors.  ideas?  

on the same topic, i disabled cdburning within win 7, as i tried it once, and didnt like it, and went back to cdburnerxp, but if you disabled it threw group policies, you cant see a director on a disc after, so i had to enable to see files on my disks.  any fixes for that?

i have nero essentials that came with one of my drives, i may go back to that, although i prefer cdburnerxp

Monday, January 26, 2009 2:39 AM
  • ctellis156 said:

nero 8 working perfectly fine for me. ive burned at least 60 cds in the last week with out one issue while having multiple instances of the program open at once

Any luck with Vision or Recode?
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Shon Miles said:

I am running Windows 7 x64 and Nero 8.0.3.0 and it works just fine. 

ScreenShot

Shon

Point being?  I have it installed as well. Vision and Recode are useless though...
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:04 AM
  • @Hurricane Andrew: I did shrink a DVD with Nero Recode and everything worked fine. Do you use the latest Nero 8 version? Or maybe it's just a problem on x32? Strange, there are usually problems with x64. Despite from the missing Nero Image Drive (they didn't manage to get it working with Vista either) there're still no issues with Nero 8 on my machine.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:39 PM
  • i just tried vision and all went fine till i got part way in the burn process. it crashed at that point. ill try it in compatability mode later
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Yes you can TRY it in Compat mode mabey that work for ya or...

I using Cyberlink Power2Go ver 6 with NO probs on Burng or disk creation....

good Luck in ur Pursuit...lol

Drone1x

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:13 AM
  • When I burn discs,there is no problem,but almost all the virtual disk is out of work,when i install them,the system give me a warning that the software has capatibility problem,i contined and Blue screen .
    GaoQiang
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Stepinsky,

I used the latest version of 9 on a 64-bit system.  Clearly, I'm going to have to do some more testing over the next few days though...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I have succesfully burned dvd with nero 9 on 32 bit machine...
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:26 PM
  • I am burning a DVD right now with Nero 9 as well, and this is on a clean install 64 bit version of Windows 7. When I installed Nero 9 on my Vista system, I had lots of trouble. It was as if the installer was partly crashing. I noticed the tip earlier about the registry fix that seems to be necessary for getting many software to work in Windows 7. Fortunately, it only seems to need to be applied once. (I am wondering if this same fix would have even helped in Vista!!)

I used Nero's video editing program (NeroVision) first to take a Windows Media Center TV recording file and put in some chapters (to skip the commercials). I almost held my breath installing and running Nero, because the complete Nero suite seems so dangerously bloated--but everything is great so far. Right now the DVD is burning without a hitch. One caveat I need to make here is that I did a custom install and did not include things like Nero ShowTime, Nero BurnRights, etc. I used their update version for Nero 9 as well, which is available from their web site.

Another thing to note is that I had tried using Norton 360 earlier but was running into PrintSpool crashes. Removing Norton SEEMED to fix all the Windows 7 problems I was having, and for the last 2-3 weeks, I have been using my Windows 7 desktop machine as my main day to day rig without any problems.

So far, I have installed MS Office, the Windows Live Essentials suite, Windows Live Mesh, iTunes, Filemaker 6.0, Zune, Quicken, TurboTax, World of Warcraft (and it patches without a problem), SoundForge 9.0, ACID Pro 7.0, Finale 2009, Sibelius, Skype (with a Logitech webcam), and maybe a couple other little things. It prints fine to two networked printers. Everything works quite well, and I have to say that this is an excellent Windows Beta experience for me. I find it boots and runs noticably faster than Vista, and my only concern is when the beta test period is over, I will have to build it again from scratch, since it sounds like Microsoft won't let you update it directly. This is too bad, because I suppose I will "lose" one Office 2007 activation "token."

I also have done a 32 bit upgrade install from Vista on my HP laptop, and I have not hit any problems there either.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Nero 7 installed, it always takes a while.  Just burned some music on DVD using Nero Burning.  Plays fine.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I'm using InfraRecorder in W7 and it works great but I'm unable to use the cool Smoke Effect ?  is there a way for the Smoke Effect to work in W7?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:41 PM