none
What configuration is required on teh ESX for the MAPT 5.5 to fucnction RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 3 ESX and 1 ESXi hosts with many virtual servers.
    We suspect our OLD SAN server for being cause of the performance challenges.

Q1. Were and what do i have to configure to capture performace data?

Q2. What duration should 1 use, 1 week od data capture, or  daily capture between main office hours only for 1 week?

Q3. l want to know what IOPS i need from my new SAN storage and eventual migration to Hyper V?

Thanks a lot

PP

Pp
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:42 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, MAP can only collect performance data from Windows machines due to the fact that MAP uses remote registry to do get the data.  Since that service isn’t available from ESXi or Linux or Unix, MAP can only inventory the hardware.

For capturing performance data from Windows machines, we recommend starting the collector 1 hour before peak usage and going until 1 hour after peak usage.  If your peak usage is unknown, then longer runs would insure you capture the peak.

When trying to determine you run duration, you will want to do some calculations to make sure you don’t exceed your available storage capacity.  SQL Server Express 2008 R2 (this is what MAP v5.5 installs if you don’t already have SQL installed) has a database size limit of 10GB.  The first sample of data is about 2MB per computer being observed. Then the database grows at approximately 53KB per observed machine per hour.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:11 PM