none
Folder redirection still in place after moving user accoun out of OU

Question

• One of our customer companies was using folder redirection for Documents and Favorites. They decided to put files in the cloud and get away from folder redirection. Their servers are running Windows Server 2012 and all clients are Windows 7 SP1 x64.

So after they copied all their data to the cloud I moved the user accounts from the OU with the folder redirection GPO to another OU that did not have the GPO linked. I then instructed them to reboot their computers twice.

For most of them it worked, however there is a small number that when they look at the Documents library it still shows "My Documents" is redirected to the server.

What do I need to do with this small number of clients to get redirection removed and the Documents folder local again? The GPO was set to redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when the policy is removed.

Jonathan

Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the update, then the issue can be caused by the change taking a long time to apply.

Let's wait more time and see.

Best Regards,

Elaine 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Unfortunately the rest of the clients did not react as that one I posted about. No matter what I did regarding GPOs, the folder redirection policy was stuck in the user profile on those PCs. So I had to go into the registry on each of them and repoint the appropriate values in User Shell Folders to point to the local PC and not to the server. Then the user had to log out and back in and then I had to manually create the folders for the libraries to attach to (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos). So those PCs got really messed up and wouldn't change back to non-redirected.

I hope I never have another customer site with that problem.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Friday, April 24, 2015 4:45 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 8:31 PM

All replies

• For the affected users/computers, were the computers directly-connected to the company network, when they rebooted ?

Group Policy processing doesn't occur in quite the same way, if the computer is not directly connected to the network (domain controllers visible).

You could try: gpupdate /force  (by the logged-in user, on the affected computer) - this will force the GPOs to re-process.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:18 PM
  • For the affected users/computers, were the computers directly-connected to the company network, when they rebooted ?

Group Policy processing doesn't occur in quite the same way, if the computer is not directly connected to the network (domain controllers visible).

You could try: gpupdate /force  (by the logged-in user, on the affected computer) - this will force the GPOs to re-process.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Yes they were all directly connected to the company LAN. I've been working with one user and he has rebooted 3 or 4 times. I don't think gpupdate would do anything more than that.

Jonathan

Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:54 PM
  • Normally when user profile redection settings fail they are logged in the eventviewer. Did you check the event viewer for any Folder redirection issues? I've had numerous errors like this. If everything else fails just try to create a new local profile for the user and after that a new network profile.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:42 PM
  • Normally when user profile redection settings fail they are logged in the eventviewer. Did you check the event viewer for any Folder redirection issues? I've had numerous errors like this. If everything else fails just try to create a new local profile for the user and after that a new network profile.

I received an update from one of the users this morning that folder redirection no longer appears on his PC and folders are back to local. I don't know if he rebooted more times or if the change was just slow in taking place. I'm now waiting for my contact to send me the list of who remains that is still showing Documents redirected to the server on their PC.

Jonathan

Friday, March 13, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

Is the problem fixed now? Would you please post us the update?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Is the problem fixed now? Would you please post us the update?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Elaine

One of the users is now fixed as indicated above. Apparently he just need to reboot a couple more times. As for the rest, I'm still waiting to hear if they still are showing Documents as redirected and who they are so I can work with them. My POC has been silent.

Jonathan

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:05 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the update, then the issue can be caused by the change taking a long time to apply.

Best Regards,

Elaine 

• Proposed as answer by Jay2k_technet Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Best Regards,

Elaine 

Unfortunately the rest of the clients did not react as that one I posted about. No matter what I did regarding GPOs, the folder redirection policy was stuck in the user profile on those PCs. So I had to go into the registry on each of them and repoint the appropriate values in User Shell Folders to point to the local PC and not to the server. Then the user had to log out and back in and then I had to manually create the folders for the libraries to attach to (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos). So those PCs got really messed up and wouldn't change back to non-redirected.

I hope I never have another customer site with that problem.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Friday, April 24, 2015 4:45 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 8:31 PM