none
USMT 5.0 - MDT 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have some doubts about how to integrate USMT with MDT 2013.

I need to deploy a win 8.1 and want to save all actual user data from old image(win7) to a new image(win8.1). without exception in this phase.

What the steps I need to do to migrate all user data with WDS/MDT?

Please help me because I never use USMT before!

Thank You,

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Dani,

Because you need to define what exactly "All User Data" is, this is a really challenging thing to do "without exception".

The Technical Reference for USMT is here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825256.aspx

A good place to start is with the "Getting Started with the User State Migration Tool" section:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824928.aspx

Basically, USMT has a bunch of XML files that let you define the rules of what to search for and back up if it is found.  It is *impossible* to do this perfectly in every scenario - no matter what you decide, someone will say you copied over stuff that shouldn't have been brought forward and someone else will complain that you missed the documents they were storing in their recycle bin.

You need to set clear expectations for your users, such as "We will copy the contents of your IE Favorites, Desktop, and My Documents to the new computer.  Some common settings for many applications will be migrated as well.  If you have documents stored in other locations, it is your responsibility to copy them to your network drive or My Documents before the migration."

If there is 0% chance that people will follow those documents, make a full backup of their computer before migrating and keep it for a week.

I hope that helps!

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hello NPherson,

Thank you for the precious information. It helps me to understand better the USMT settings.

But my real doubt here is how can I use the USMT in MDT. Is necessary do some change on my CS.ini? Is necessary do something on my TS or answer file?

Basically I only need at this time save the user 'desktop' and 'my documents' ( just to verify how it works ).

Regards,

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:16 AM