none
Software installation GPOs not working over wireless

Question

• The policy is applied successfully.  I can see the GPO applied in RSOP and the event viewer says it will be applied during the next startup, but it never does no matter how many times the laptop is restarted.  

I have a the GPO setting configured to always wait for network already and additional policy processing wait time was added and I have confirmed that the network is connected by the time the login prompt appears however, the software never installs.

I then connected an Ethernet cable and rebooted and then the software installed at the next reboot.

Software has installed successfully via wireless in the past.  

What settings need to be applied to allow software installation policies to work over wireless?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:42 PM

All replies

• I know why this happens. It is because on a wireless computer the last thing that comes up and starts working is the wireless NIC. When a user logs in before the wireless is up they are logging in with cached credentials. The point in the boot process where the GP would be applied is before the wireless NIC makes it's connection and by then it is too late to get the GP. 

There are a couple of ways to resolve this. One is to create a small script in startup that runs GPupdate after the user logs on. This is probably the dirty easy way.

We had another fix at work the required changing some registry keys to change the order in which things happen and to not used cached credentials. This sort of forces the machine to connect and then log on where it then gets the updates. I don't have those instructions with me at the moment, but if you want them I will post them.

Larry King MCTS

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:13 PM
  • > What settings need to be applied to allow software installation policies
    > to work over wireless?

You need to make sure that windows waits for the network:

In addition, I remember some intel Wifi nics that by default tried to
    connect AFTER logon because the Wifi settings were stored in the user's
    profile. We needed a utility from intel to change this behavior to
    "connect at startup".

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:20 AM
  • After doing more testing, I found that the wireless connects at inconsistent speeds.  Sometimes it takes nearly 2 minutes after a restart for the device to respond to ping after a reboot and sometimes less than a minute (still too slow).

I am now able to get software installation GPOs to work on wireless every time if I extend policy processing wait time to 2 minutes.  The setting "always wait for the network" alone is not good enough for reliability because it still often times out before the wireless connects.

2 minutes is an extreme amount of time to wait for a reboot to complete especially since this makes the user wait even if there is no software installation pending or the laptop is off site.  

What could cause wireless to be so slow to reconnect after a restart?

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:44 PM
  • > What could cause wireless to be so slow to reconnect after a restart?

Your infrastructure...

You could use WSUS and WPP to deploy instead:

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:35 PM