none
ADVPACK.DLL issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am technically challenged, but I am trying to install software - a tax program called Drake, and am getting an error message regarding the advpack.dll.  The exact message is "Error creating process <C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\Drake.exe>, Reason:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\advpack.dll.

I've also been trying to install Acronis to clone my hard drive to a SSD, and am getting a "fatal install error" message there as well, that I think might be related.  Can anyone help?

JP

Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:12 AM

All replies

• I found old reports of this error message where the user tried to install x64 software on x86 windows:
    advpack.dll error when trying to install software
    but you should contact the support for the software.
    Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:27 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Does the error occur when you install other applications?

advpack.dll is used to assist with hardware and software installation by reading and verifying .INF files. 

Please try to search for Command Prompt in search box, then right click it to run as administrator. Then run "sfc /scannow" to check and repair the corrupted system files.

If the issue persists, please copy another advpack.dll file from a same version computer and replace yours. 

I am not recommend to use third party software to clone SSD. It will bring penitential risk to your information and system, it is also out of our support scope. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Similar exact issue here but on a Windows 7 Pro system.  Did you get it resolved Julie?

Thursday, February 28, 2019 12:09 AM