How to catch exception from receive port? RRS feed

• Question

• Now, I would like to catch exception or warning when the receive location cannot connect the FTP.

For receive pipeline, I am using PassThruReceive pipeline.

When I catch the exception or warning when the receive location cannot connect the FTP, then I will send a email to myself.

Also, I will have multi receive location on each receive port.

What can I do for catch the exception or warning to send the email?

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, the most recommend way will be to use monitoring tools like SCOM or BizTalk360 for alerting purposes.

These tools are not free and some companies might find them costly to license.

For adapter like POP3, SFTP, FTP, File, etc you may get some warnings and errors which affect these receive adapters and make them disabled once the error threshold is exceeded. There is an easy way to get BizTalk alerts by using a combination of PowerShell scripting and the built-in Windows Task Scheduler.

Refer well drafted article by Suleiman for the implementation: BizTalk Server: An Easy Way to Get BizTalk Alerts

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, March 21, 2016 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, March 21, 2016 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Failed message routing is a property of send and receive ports, and is enabled by indicating "Enable routing for failed messages" on the port's property page.

You get multiple properties to context when there are any failures in receive port / send ports, you can use promoted properties to send / process further / you can take further action from the available properties.

Also, You can use power shell scripting to monitor the Receive Locations / Send Ports / Host Instances, where it will try to enable and then sends email alerts.

MSDN: 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578574.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578516.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa559421.aspx

Let us know if you need any further details.

Thanks, SMSVikasK

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Firstly, the most recommend way will be to use monitoring tools like SCOM or BizTalk360 for alerting purposes.

These tools are not free and some companies might find them costly to license.

For adapter like POP3, SFTP, FTP, File, etc you may get some warnings and errors which affect these receive adapters and make them disabled once the error threshold is exceeded. There is an easy way to get BizTalk alerts by using a combination of PowerShell scripting and the built-in Windows Task Scheduler.

Refer well drafted article by Suleiman for the implementation: BizTalk Server: An Easy Way to Get BizTalk Alerts

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, March 21, 2016 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, March 21, 2016 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi

I Agree with Rachit answer.

When Any recive port is not able to connect the location -Receive port will be in stopped state.

You can set up SCOM alerts,This is the best solution for the Receive ports connectivity problems.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

If the receive port is not able to connect to the FTP, then definitely it writes an error/warning to Application event viewer. So you can use the below tools to alert when the error is written to event viewer

SCOM, Splunk,BizTalk360 ect..With BizTalk 360 you can enable auto healing on the ports which retires and try to enable once the network comes up.

Thanks

JB

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Now, I would like to catch exception or warning when the receive location cannot connect the FTP.

When the receive location cannot connect the FTP,

then I would like to catch the exception or warning in orchestration,

after that I would like to send a email when I catch the exception or warning.(For sending email I wil use a SMTP send port to handle.)

For receive pipeline, I am using XMLReceive pipeline.

Also, there are multi receive location on each receive port.

Finally, the solution of catch the exception or warning of receive location and send email must be handle on orchestration or biztalk server administration.

What can I do for catch the exception or warning to send the email?

Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Why are creating duplicate thread?

if you have any doubts please raise it on the other thread.

Like already mentioned the most recommend way will be to use monitoring tools like SCOM or BizTalk360 for alerting purposes.

Refer well drafted article by Suleiman for the implementation: BizTalk Server: An Easy Way to Get BizTalk Alerts

Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:11 AM
  • Since you are looking to get real time alerts from BTS env, your options are using BizTalk 360 or SCOM.

Even 'Enabled Failed Routing' would require an actual message to arrive which may be X hours later after the port stopped.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:25 PM
  • You have a free option if you have 1-2 BizTalk servers. You can use the free edition of our monitoring tool AIMS for this purpose and a bunch of other stuff. Check it out at www.aimsinnovation.com or sign up and access the free edition at http://www.aimsinnovation.com/aims-free

thanks,

Marius

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:33 PM