SCCM 2012 SP1 cannot start smstsmgr neither CmRcService services in Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have already installed and configured SCCM 2012 SP1 in my environment which has McAfee v.8. and I have included in the exceptions the location C:\Windows\CCM\CcmExec.exe and also opened the ports in the Checkpoint Firewall.

I sent the installation to the clients and that's fine. However the feature of Remote Control doesn't work even though I have enabled that feature in the SCCM Client that has been deployed.

I have noticed that smstsmgr and CmRcService services are disabled. When I try to enable and start, they go down again and I cannot start them even though I use a elevated account to do so.

At the all the SCCM Clients show the feature Remote Tools is installed, but it's disabled. I guess that it could be as result of those services that are down. At the beginning I thought the problem could be the Antivirus, but I did the same test in a machine with no antivirus and the outcome was the same.

Could someone indicate me where can I start look for a solution?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Paul Mendoza.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:51 PM

All replies

• Are they Windows 7 clients? This kind of strange behaviour can happen if the Windows Firewall is disabled (it's OK to stop it - not disable it)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagergeneral/thread/d24c99e1-a325-481f-9dc7-779637e116f6/

"If the Windows Firewall service is disabled the remote control service will fail to install because it cannot create the firewall exception rule. "

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hello, 

I have identified the problem.

I created a Custom Client on  SCCM 2012 and I am sure that I deployed that configuration upon the clients. However, those clients received the Default Client configuration and because the Remote Control feature is disable, I could not connect through Remote Control.

After I enabled and configured that feature at the Default Client, Now I can connect through Remote Control.

Now my question is, How can make sure the Clients receive the Custom Configuration instead the Default Configuration?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paul Mendoza.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:52 PM
  • If you have created a Custom Client Settings Configuration you must deploy it to a collection for it to have effect. If you deploy it to your workstation collection with a lower priority than the default, then it will take effect 

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:56 PM