Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Licenses on SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem on Small Business Server 2011

It's supposed to come with 5 Terminal Services licenses, but when I try to log in with the 3rd concurrent user, I need to choose one of the two first users to disconnect. It also give a warning that the terminal licenses will expire.

So what I did was add an additional 5 licenses and now in Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration I have "Number of licenses available for clients" at 5, it was at 0 before.

Other settings are:

Delete temporary files on exit: Yes
    Use temporary folders per session: Yes
    Restrict each user to a single session: Yes
    User logon mode: Allow all connections
    Remote Desktop licensing mode: Per User
    Remote Desktop license Server: Specified
    Member of farm in RD Connection Broker: No
    IP Virtualization: Not Enabled

But even after this only 2 concurrent users is allowed.

No idea what next, is it possible to return it to "factory" state without reinstalling Windows?

Monday, May 2, 2011 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That is right, these are SBS CAL, these gave you the right to connect to your SBS server with a explorer and connect to Exchange, BUT if you would like to use Remote Desktop Services you will need to buy additional RDS CAL's.

AND as said you may not install the RDS role on a SBS Standard server it is not supported! and will break some things.

Read also these quotes from the SBS 2011 licensing FAQ:

Q. Is Windows Server Remote Desktop Services Session Host enabled in Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard?
    A. No, RD Session Host is disabled in SBS 2011 Standard (An RD Session host server is the server that’s hosts Windows-based programs or the full Windows desktop for Remote Desktop Services clients). To implement Remote Desktop Services with Session Host, you would need to add another server to the domain running either the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on or Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 and acquire RDS CAL’s for either users or devices.

Q. Do I require RDS Cal’s to access the SBS 2011 Server using RDS Admin Mode?
    A. No, SBS 2011 provides you 2 connections via RDS Admin mode to remotely administer your server.

Q. Does the Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suite and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suite allow me to access Windows Server 2008 R2 connected to the Windows Small Business Server 2011 domain?
    A. Yes. Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suite and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suite can be used to access any Windows Server 2008 R2 that is in the Windows Small Business Server 2011 domain. Note however, if you are using the Remote Desktop Services or Rights Management Services functionality found in Windows Server 2008 R2, you must acquire separate Remote Desktop CALs or Rights Management Services CALs in order to be compliant with your license.

source: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/5/C/45CD1DC6-9204-44DD-999B-24B50A9144B6/SBS%202011_Licensing_FAQ.pdf

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 6, 2011 7:25 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 2 connection you can make to a server are for administrative purpose. If you would like more connections you need to install Remote desktop services.

BUT these licenses don't come standard with SBS 2011 (also not with the premium add-on) you need to buy additional CAL licenses for this. ANOTHER thing is the remote desktop services role is not  supported on a SBS 2011 server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466908.

So if you would like to give your users Remote desktop services posibillity you need to introduce a second server in your domain and configure this one for remote desktop services.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Monday, May 2, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

The 2 connection you can make to a server are for administrative purpose. If you would like more connections you need to install Remote desktop services.

BUT these licenses don't come standard with SBS 2011 (also not with the premium add-on) you need to buy additional CAL licenses for this. ANOTHER thing is the remote desktop services role is not  supported on a SBS 2011 server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466908.

So if you would like to give your users Remote desktop services posibillity you need to introduce a second server in your domain and configure this one for remote desktop services.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Hi Ronny

Thanks but according to me supplier (and the little piece of white paper with came with the SBS 2011) it comes with 5 CAL (in either user or device mode).

How do I reinstall Remote Desktop Services

Monday, May 2, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

That is right, these are SBS CAL, these gave you the right to connect to your SBS server with a explorer and connect to Exchange, BUT if you would like to use Remote Desktop Services you will need to buy additional RDS CAL's.

AND as said you may not install the RDS role on a SBS Standard server it is not supported! and will break some things.

Read also these quotes from the SBS 2011 licensing FAQ:

Q. Is Windows Server Remote Desktop Services Session Host enabled in Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard?
    A. No, RD Session Host is disabled in SBS 2011 Standard (An RD Session host server is the server that’s hosts Windows-based programs or the full Windows desktop for Remote Desktop Services clients). To implement Remote Desktop Services with Session Host, you would need to add another server to the domain running either the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on or Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 and acquire RDS CAL’s for either users or devices.

Q. Do I require RDS Cal’s to access the SBS 2011 Server using RDS Admin Mode?
    A. No, SBS 2011 provides you 2 connections via RDS Admin mode to remotely administer your server.

Q. Does the Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suite and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suite allow me to access Windows Server 2008 R2 connected to the Windows Small Business Server 2011 domain?
    A. Yes. Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suite and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suite can be used to access any Windows Server 2008 R2 that is in the Windows Small Business Server 2011 domain. Note however, if you are using the Remote Desktop Services or Rights Management Services functionality found in Windows Server 2008 R2, you must acquire separate Remote Desktop CALs or Rights Management Services CALs in order to be compliant with your license.

source: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/5/C/45CD1DC6-9204-44DD-999B-24B50A9144B6/SBS%202011_Licensing_FAQ.pdf

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 6, 2011 7:25 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi guys,

I know this is 6 months down the track from last response however, if you add the Premium addon to SBS2011 will that allow RDP for multiple users to the SBS 2011 server, with the appropriate licences off course.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:54 PM
  • It requires that you setup a second server using the premium add on licenses and configure it as a Remote Desktop Server...you can't do it on a Single Server environment

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:23 PM
  • So if you need more than 5 cals for your SBS 2011 standard you need to purchase some CAL's and keep them in a safe place? No installation required because of the honor system? If so how do they know you bought them?

Also if you are requiring more than 2 connections to the remote desktop services you need to buy CAL's and install them on a second member server running remote Desktop Services role? If so, can this be run on same server in a hyper V on R2?

So the 5 CALs that are provided will give you access to:

https://remote.server.com/owa - mail

https://remote.server.com/remote/internalwebsite - internal sharepoint site

AND NOT TO

https://remote.server.com/remote - RDS

Thanks for the advice!

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:37 PM
  • NO, sortta WAY OFF BASE.

'SBS CALs' give you access to 'Windows facilities' and 'Exchange' on the SBS network. The 5 CALs included in your SBS purchase are 'SBS CALs' and give full access to all SBS facilities, including the 'connect to' functions available from /remote.

HOWEVER, to utilise RDS functions RDS Licensing is required, and a suitable RDS Server. The 'connect to' function of /remote is only available in order to allow user connection to workstations, unless suitable RDS is available and licensed.

The SBS itself is not a suitable RDS, both from a functional and licensing viewpoint.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:47 PM
  • ok. Let me try again.. Still learning and decipher MS licensing.

So if i set up a a RDS licensing server this would allow all 5 users/machines to access RDS. If i do not set one up then I am limited to 2 admin connections? Again if I dont set up a 2nd server then I can still access all other features such as OWA and internal website.

This is what I am getting started next week.

SBS 2011 server standard with 2 desktops, 3 laptops, and 5 users total.

I want to allow remote access to shares without VPN.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:03 AM
  • NO. Where you set up an 'RDS Licensing Server' doesn't matter one whit. You must have a Windows instance that is both suitable and licensed for RDS. SBS is not suitable and is not licensed for RDS.

EDIT clarifying: You may, of course, add a server to the SBS domain that is both suitable and licensed for RDS. These days, such additional server would probably also act as 'RDS Licensing Server'.

EDIT2: BTW remote access to shares without VPN is possible via Remote Web Access.
    • Edited by SuperGumby Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:12 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Yeah I know shares over Web access is possible without VPN. I would like the 5 users to log into the Web access and visit email, view shares, etc. I am just trying to see what the best possible solution is. All I have to work with is a sbs 2011 server and 5 Pc's.

So in your opinion in this sernario what would you do to accomplish this?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:21 AM
  • mind if I recount a short tale? (guess it's not gonna matter about whether you mind or not, I'm doing so anyway)

Some time ago I set up an SBS08 in what would seem very similar circumstances. SBS08, 3 local workstations (2 of which were lappies), and 2 remote users (using laptops which seldom were connected locally, but were owned by the company and therefore Domain Joined).

The 2 'normally remote' lappies were set up for Outlook Anywhere and given access through RWA to the 1 permanent workstation.

The 2 'normally inhouse' were also only set up for OA when remote, and also given access to the 1 permanent workstation.

The 4 users were asked to co-operate between themselves for access to the 1 permanent workstation (used by a 5th user 9-5).

It worked because only infrequent access was required to the 1 permanent workstaion by each of the 4.

Now, <2yrs in, we recently purchased more CALs because there are now more 'permanent in-house staff'. The 1 permanent workstation has been moved to the side and is now referred to as 'the remote access PC' and the 9-5 user has been given his own dedicated PC. A new staff member also has a new workstation. They also have an additional '50% inhouse' laptop user, operating on the same premise as the other in-house lappy (OA only, connect to 'remote access PC' should you wish to, co-operativelly with other users).

but wait for a 2nd post, there's another way I might do this.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:46 AM
  • The other way: (and I'm thinking of doing this for my site also)

SBS11 and WMS (Windows Multipoint Server).

A piece of hardware _not far in excess_ of that required to run SBS11 could easily be configured to run both SBS and WMS, under HyperV, particularly for a small number of users. WMS actually gives you the '1+1 Licensing' required to do this. You require WMS Premium to get the 'domain join' facility.

One 'throws out' the idea of 'local workstations' completely and forces users to operate in WMS mode both when connected locally and away from the office.

WMS CALs include the required RDS CAL but, in this situation, can be purchased without the 'Windows CAL' requirement (the SBS CALs cover Windows access).

Going into a 'greenfield' I would most certainly do this. There's some slight additional cost converting my existing client to this model, but I'm gonna push them that way.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Thank you for your advice. I am going to rethink my plan and look into WMS.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:14 AM
  • if it sounds reasonable a small 'tier one' server would easily handle a small number of users.

Single CPU (multiple core) and 16GB of RAM, decent disk IO (SAS preferably).

The HyperV host (using 1+1 from WMS Premium) would allocate 10GB to SBS11 and 4GB to WMS, leaving a bit of 'operational RAM' for the host.

It wouldn't cost a lot more, and in many CPU/mobo combos would work better, to get 24GB RAM in the host (3*8 or 6*4). 16Gb for SBS, 6GB for WMS, and some change for host operation.

EDIT and simply because I was looking at it: maybe 14 GB for SBS and 8GB for WMS, and change for host, would work better.
    • Edited by SuperGumby Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:45 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:41 AM
  • I'm confused.

I have RDS installed on my SBS 2011 server and I installed a five-pack of 2008R2 TS CALs.  It seems to work, though I do get licensing errors on my server. 

So . . . why do I have it on my server if SBS 2011 doesn't support it?

And why can my users access their desktops using RDS?  When you access the system through OWA, it creates an RDS settings file that you can use directly to connect to your desktop.

So . . . why is SBS 2011 incompatible with RDS if it is a built-in function?

Micah

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:47 AM
  • though you may have purchased and applied RDS CALs they are not actually acceptable by the SBS itself. You are not complying to licensing.

Normally, only two (administration) sessions are available at any time. If you have enabled more than 2(administration) sessions, you've broken SBS.

RDS _is not_ a 'built-in role' on SBS. It is a facility available from the underlying OS, Windows Server 2008.

Just because you have a gun, can put a bullet in the chamber, doesn't mean you should point such loaded gun at your own, or for that matter anybody else's, head. It's difficult for anyone to stop you doing so, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:29 AM

Good grief why does Microsoft make it so complicated. I
    am in the process of planning an upgrade to a new server. We currently have
    windows 2000 and 19 user total between 2 sites. 14 in the main building and 5
    in another across the street. The 5 remote computers connect to the server
    through a VPN. Our check in and Data base with all the programs we offer (this
    is a recreation Center) Is installed on the server @ the main site. Of the 19
    users only about 12 access the server when they are in the Check in. We are
    switching to a new software program a d across the VPN it runs really slow. The
    company that makes it suggested we use remote desktop to access the server and
    run the program on the server. That works great but Windows 2000 will not let us
    have more than 2 or 3 connections. 2 of those are usually in use by the
    bookkeeper and Manger to get on the server remotely to get the Time clock data
    since the Time clock is connect to the server. So there is only 1 or 2 remote
    desktop left to use. I am looking @ SBS 2011 to go on the new server. From what
    I can make of the licensing is that only 2 remote desktop connections are aloud
    unless I buy RDS CALS or get SBS 2011 premium add on. Of the 5 remote computers
    only 2 to 3 will need to connect to the server regularly everyday most all day
    at least. So counting the total number of connections that could be used at
    anyone time to the server would be 7. 5 accessing the check-in software and 2
    just getting data from the check- in software  reports or the time clock. Does SBS 2011 with 5 Remote CALS or the SBS 2011 with add in or would I be better to just get Server 2008  Right now eveyone just has there documents on there own computers I would like to get them on to store on the server so backup would be centralized. 

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:25 PM
  • It's not really that complex.

On systems with Administrative Remote Desktop enabled 2 such desktops are allowed. This has been the case since Server03 (I'm not sure about 00). These desktops are designed for administrative purpose only and _are not licensed_ for use by 'standard users'.

To allow use by 'standard users' you need (in 08) to enable Remote Desktop Services, what on 03 is 'Terminal Services Application Mode', you also need to enable a Licensing Server to control this and have the RDS(TS) CALs.

No version of SBS should ever have had 'Terminal Services Application Mode' enabled on the SBS. It has been blocked for some time.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:25 PM
  • I know you have to be an admin in RDS ADMIN mode to remotely administer you computer!!! my question is if im the Admin using the web based application from a totally different location then my server will it interupt or make the current user on that server or that may be using remote desktop from within the same network logoff..I know it says you can have two concurrent sessions at one time so i just want to know if the web based remote desktop service will interfere with the current user 
    Monday, September 10, 2012 8:58 PM
  • The 3rd remote user login will kick out one or both of the other remote users.  I just tested this on a WS08 member server, and the third kicked out both of the first two, without warning to the third.

Do you actually have three people who remotely administer your SBS? 

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:07 PM
  • I can see room here for confusion. George, Wiseguy and Mica all hint that they have put 5 TS CALs into the Remote Desktop Licensing on a SBS 2011 server and it says there are 5 users licensed for Remote Desktop Services.

There seems to be some confusion as to why you can apparently license it this way - even though it doesn’t work and limits you to 2 concurrent sessions. 

This is how it works:

The RDS Session Host uses the same technology as the administrative remote sessions, but is a different thing.  You can have 2 admins log in, but the 5 TS CALs you put in won’t get used.  The Remote Desktop on an XP or Windows 7 Pro is the same.  It allows you to access a single session only though.  Both the Admin session on the server or a Remote desktop on a PC use a simplified version of the Remote Desktop Services.  There are not registry or folder redirections or any of the other tweaks to allow multiple concurrent users run desktop apps that weren’t written for a Terminal Server. 

With SBS 2011 you are not allowed to install the RDS session host (the actual terminal server) but you can access the admin sessions.  There are two on Server 2008 and beyond, whereas there were 3 on Windows 2003 (two sessions and the console session).  You can however open up the licensing console and add licenses.  You can however install and use the Remote Desktop Licensing Role n the SBS server.

This may sound pointless, but it’s not. 

You need to install a second server to use the RDS Session host.  The role must be installed on this (or any other extra server or servers).  You then tell the session host where the licenses are located – on a server with the Licensing Role added.  You can have the SBS server administer licenses with the Remote Desktop Licensing role.  This is the thing that people have said they put the TS cals in and then complained that they did not work.  The reson they didn’t work is because there was no Session host to use them. 

Imagine that you had two servers with the Remote Desktop Session host role installed.  You might want to run 4 sessions on Server1 as it is a bit low on RAM and 6 on Server2.  If you have the licensing role on your SBS, it can have 2 5-packs of TS CALs installed and it will manage the licenses for Server1 and Server2.  This scenario shows one reason why you might want your SBS 2011 server to run the Remote Desktop Licensing role.  It is not complicated or silly of Microsoft to allow you to put it on the SBS server, it’s just that some people have not researched enough and so don’t yet fully understand the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services or SBS 2011’s limitations. 

We all have to start learning somewhere.  It’s a shame that Microsoft haven’t been a bit clearer on the naming.  With Windows 2003 and XP, there was a distinction between Terminal services and remote desktops, but now they have similar names. 

I Code therefore I am John

• Proposed as answer by johnnyboyleeds Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:37 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Can't you connect to the domain,   using  http:\remote.domain.com,   and sign on to the domain, and then connect to any computer you wish ?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:48 PM
  • This is absolutely MS down to the bone. I'm needing a single server solution as there just aren't the facilities to host two separate servers. Besides which, why should I?

Is there any single server RDS solution that I can use to allow up to 5 users to have concurrent remote desktops?

Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Okay, try this, tricky, but may solve your 1 box conundrum.

install server 2008 R2 and install hyper-v role on it then install your SBS and another Server 2008R2 in hyper-v to act as the RDS and join it to the SBS domain.

Do not join the hyper-V host to the SBS domain!!

see where I am coming from??

This is a rock solid setup that I have used many times.

-Web-ster!!

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:43 PM