Unable to approve updates and client not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Need help.

I installed a WSUS server and am having trouble with the following:-

1.  My machine is not showing up in the WSUS console.

2.  I have set the WSUS server to download updates locally.  I can see it has sync'd and is showing that updates need to be approved etc BUT when i try to view updates so I can approve nothing is displayed?

3.  And I keep getting this annoying Error Connection Error (see screen shot).  What the hell's going on?  I hit 'Reset Server Node' and then it fixes it but then comes back when i'm trying to navigate in/around the WSUS console.

I've created a GP and under Computer Configuration have set the intranet update server to my server e.g http://myserver:8530 and linked it to an OU which my computer account is now sitting in.

Performed a GPUPDATE /FORCE on my machine, and have checked registry entry which confirms that my machine is pointing to my WSUS server.  So that all seems fine.  Did this today.  Having doing some reading, it seems like for machines to show up can take some time.  I've also performed wuauclt /register, wuauclt /detectnow on the server.

I set WSUS yonks ago and am pretty certain everything is set correctly, but please feel free to correct me incase i've missed anything.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1> To increase the stability of the WSUS console, we need to configure some setting in the IIS. Just follow below steps to do it.

• On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager.
    • Open Application Pools.
    • Right-click 'WsusPool' and select 'Advanced Settings...'
    • Increase the WsusPool Private Memory limit x4 times, or set to 0 (unlimited).
    • Change 'Queue Length' from the default 1,000 to 25,000.

2> Run the following commands in the elevated CMD on the clients which do not show up in the WSUS. It could fix some common contact/report issues.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan

Note that the wuauclt command is retired in the Windows 10/Windows server 2016. They are replaced by usoclient command.

If you have verified the GPs applied to the clients are correct, you also should make sure that the connectivity between WSUS and clients has no problem, such as firewall, proxy, etc.

3> Sorry, I don't get the meaning of "when I try to view updates so I can approve nothing is displayed?". Where do you view the updates? When you navigate to "All updates" node, are there update entries in the window on the right? Do you use any filters?

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

Do you mean that both the Computer Status and Update Status are 0? That's because all of your computers have not contacted the WSUS, so all the updates are under "No status".

Once we solve the contact/report issue, all would be OK.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for your help Ray.  I have followed your instructions and am waiting for my machine to show up in WSUS.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again :)
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 11:24 AM
  • I am quite surprised how this just doesn't work out of the box after installing the role and that you have to do further config changes to make it work.  Thank you Microsoft.
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Hello,

I notice that you have not updated for a while. Has your issue been solved? Or is there any update? Please feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, December 24, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Don't forget about doing the proper WSUS maintenance on a routine basis including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc. If you don't you'll end up with having a slower WSUS system, one that does not give proper results, numbers, and one that has massive amounts of wasted space being used. It's important to keep on top of maintenance.

Part 8 of my blog series takes care of the maintenance but I'd advise reading the whole series if you're still having issues with systems not showing up.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Friday, December 28, 2018 3:48 AM
  • Hi Ray

Apologies for the delayed response.  I returned to work only yesterday.  Was nice having 2 whole weeks off :D

So, checked WSUS yesterday and STILL cannot see ANY machines registered or unknown computers.

We DO have a bit of a weird setup here at this company.  It is a SAMBA AD environment which I never heard of until i started contracting here for this company.  Which I've noticed brings along stupid niggly bits n bobs that I've noticed.  I'm betting this is also causing issues potentially with WSUS.

Kind Regards

Asif

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:33 AM