none
Driver Selection Profile Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• We are using selection profiles for our imaging. We are using Johan's Added Predictability and has been working great. We used DISM to perform a windows offline update and created a new task sequence for the updated .wim file. Now we find the drivers, especially the video, are not being installed. Can anyone provide any guidance as to why this would occur when the only thing that changed was updating windows?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is a strong case for Johan's Total Control.  The reason why you are seeing driver install failures is because there are child devices attached.  the PNP detect has no way of knowing what the children are so they never get copied over.  The Selection Profiles are working perfectly fine but, there is a limitation to the PNP detection done in WinPE.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Thank you for responding Ty. I have a question that may appear nonsensical but in order to do this by machine make is the best practice to import every driver for each model? I can see that this would take some time to set up and I'm looking for some direction. If that's what you recommend and it appears to be best practice then we will have to do it.

Another thing I want to mention. I watched Keith's video and installed cm trace. It does make it easier to read, without a doubt, but knowing what to look for is another thing.

Thanks again

Friday, September 25, 2015 12:57 AM
  • If you go the route of doing all the drivers for a particular model you can grab the CABs from Dell (assuming Dell).  Or Keith has some really cool powershell that will populate your folders (you will want to use this one):
    How the above works (previous version of the script):
    If you are using Lenovo or HP this might work although I haven't tested it:

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

• Edited by Ty GlanderModerator Friday, September 25, 2015 2:10 AM fixed the links
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Friday, September 25, 2015 12:15 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Bob

Friday, September 25, 2015 12:15 PM