WSUS, Patch Management, Server Manager , Server 2008 R2, SoftwareDistribution.log, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to read SoftwareDistribution.log in server WSUS 2008 R2.

%systemroot%Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles/SoftwareDistribution.log but i don't know how to read. So Request you all to understand me the log file and what is the use of SoftwareDistriution.log file.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Tushar Bhardwaj,

WSUS SoftwareDistribution log is used to troubleshoot WSUS issue.

Generally, we'll check "Change.log" first, it may record the outline events of the WSUS server. When we find suspicious logs in "Change.log", then, check the detailed logs in "SoftwareDistribution.log" by searching the corresponding data in "Change.log".

Besides, we may also use event log in event viewer> WSUS to check WSUS events.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Tushar Bhardwaj,

WSUS SoftwareDistribution log is used to troubleshoot WSUS issue.

Generally, we'll check "Change.log" first, it may record the outline events of the WSUS server. When we find suspicious logs in "Change.log", then, check the detailed logs in "SoftwareDistribution.log" by searching the corresponding data in "Change.log".

Besides, we may also use event log in event viewer> WSUS to check WSUS events.

Best Regards,

Anne 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Dear Anne,

Thank a lot, but i want to learn the skill of reading SoftwareDistribution.log.

How to read it.. If you have any link please share.

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Hi Tushar Bhardwaj,

As far as I know, there no official article to demo it.

Just find this:

File Name Description

Change.log

Provides information about the WSUS server database information that has changed.

SoftwareDistribution.log

Provides information about the software updates that are synchronized from the configured update source to the WSUS server database.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/bb693878.aspx

While there is article about how to read windowsupdate.log, post the link if you need:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/902093

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Dear Anne,

Thank a lot but still i am not able to understand the SoftwareUpdate.log file

Tushar Bhardwaj

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:34 AM