none
Late Start and Late Finish Report RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to generate a single report on any given day that depicts those tasks that should have started by this date but have not and those tasks that should have finished by this same date but have not. I've played around with the filter report functionality but can't seem to get this to work - any guidance would be appreciated!

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:22 PM

Answers

• It is for one project - this works perfectly - thank you for the quick reply!
    Monday, April 21, 2014 3:24 PM
  • acjc1125,

Glad the formula worked for you. Please mark my reply as answer, so that it will be helpful for others who seek the same question.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by acjc1125 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:08 PM

All replies

• Do you need this report across multiple projects or just one project?

Assuming you want it in one project, you could use a formula like this: (use a text custom field).

IIf(([Start]<[Status Date] And [% Complete]=0),"Late Start",IIf([Finish]<[Status Date] And [% Complete]<>100,"Late Finish","Things are Fine"))

The Status Date allows you to be flexible in your reporting. 

If you want to do this across multiple projects, a report using a similar formula could easily be developed, with OLAP Cubes/ODCs.

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:48 PM
  • acjc1125 --

In addition to the excellent answer given to you by Prasanna, I think you need to answer the following questions:

1. You say that the task should have started by this date, but WHAT DATE?  By the Baseline Start date, the Current Date, or the Status Date?
    2. You say that the task should have finished by this date, but WHAT DATE?  By the Baseline Finish date, the Current Date, or the Status Date?

The answers to the two preceding questions will determine how to create the filter to use in your report.  Also, it would help if you told us what version of Microsoft Project you are using.  2007, 2010, or 2013?  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, April 21, 2014 3:01 PM
  • It is for one project - this works perfectly - thank you for the quick reply!
    Monday, April 21, 2014 3:24 PM
  • As part of our PMO support function, I create late task reports for a number of individual projects. Generally what I do, in terms of choosing a date, is run the report for Friday of the current week. So, as an example, today is Tuesday 04/22/2014 and I will run the report using the current start/finish dates for this Friday, 04/25/2014, seeking to determine as of 04/25/2014 what tasks did not start that should have by this date and likewise what tasks should have finished by this date that have not. (We use MS Project Professional 2010 (not using project server)).

I employed the formula provided by Prasanna, creating a custom field using Text2. When I run the report, I change the project status date to whatever date I want to have the report reflective of (in the above example I would change it to 04/25/14).

I think I am good - unless I am missing something I am not aware of.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:33 AM
  • acjc1125,

Glad the formula worked for you. Please mark my reply as answer, so that it will be helpful for others who seek the same question.

• Marked as answer by acjc1125 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:08 PM