"A Disk Read Error Occurred" and cannot boot from Restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• Tried to boot my PC this morning but keep getting "A Disk Read Error Occurred - Press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart". I have not installed any new software or hardware since it last worked ok. Pressing A+C+D just repeats the same issue.

I have changed the boot sequence to start with the CDROM but after getting the message "Inspecting your hardware configuration..." nothing happens, it goes to a black screen and all disk activity stops.

Tempted to get a new HDD (have taken the old HDD out, Memory etc and reinstalled but to no avail) but am worried that the restore CD will still not work...

Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:45 AM

All replies

• First question have you disconnected the extra items plugged into your system? 

I have seen USB port multipliers take down a system. Or even mice, or other additional plug ins.

Over in this thread, there is a whole list of solutions. available to possibly fix your boot problem. Ignore the drama and head towards the end. A nice listing of possible fixes.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/37f1395e-8331-46c4-882d-78d111005f48

My favorite fixes are there.

Cabling, bios updates, power supply, memory removal, chkdsk, fixmbr, removal of hard drive and chdsk on some one elses system.

One of my favorite checks is to pull everything from the system except the video monitor, and finding some old fashion corded mice and keyboard. assuming your system has these ports (ps/2).

And remember to please report back your results if something contained here fixes your problem.

Cheers Keith

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:32 AM