none
DPM 2010 Protection Agent Operation Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Starting this past weekend, one of my Windows2003 clients refuses to allow my DPM server to connect and all syncs are failing. Under the Management tab it reports that the RPC server is unavailable - a refresh does not help. Yes, the client is UP and I can access it and a restart did not help. In the client event log I am getting a Application popup: Event ID 26 - DPMRA.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417)  occurred in the application at location 0x78587892 error even after the restart. The client is not out of disk space and the owner reports that only security patches have been applied recently. Any ideas what might have gone wrong ?

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:39 PM

Answers

• Seems to have fixed itself. I was set to uninstall the DPM agent this morning, so I went ahead and got set to uninstall the agent from the DPM console. Right clicked on the servername in DPM/Management tab and instead of selecting uninstall, I hit refresh by mistake and WHAM ! it showed as OK. Re-ran CRC and created new Recovery Points and all is well now. Admin for the server says nothing has changed, but server was restarted yesterday.

go figure...

• Marked as answer by tgoetzman Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi tgoetzman

Did you try to check your Firewall Exception yet? ensure that dpmra and DPMRA_DCOM_135 was allowed by your client firewall

BR

Mahunnop

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:47 AM
  • I had the server admin disable the McAfee firewall and anti-virus protection, but that did not help either.

Anything else or should we just reinstall the dpm agent ?

Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Can you check the system and application event logs and see if there is an event error for DPMRA logged and if so post the details of the event(s)? It sounds like DPMRA.exe is crashing.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date:  10/30/2010
    Time:  3:05:18 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    Application popup: DPMRA.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417)
     occurred in the application at location 0x78587892.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Friday, November 5, 2010 2:12 PM
  • we are going to reinstall the DPM agent next
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Seems to have fixed itself. I was set to uninstall the DPM agent this morning, so I went ahead and got set to uninstall the agent from the DPM console. Right clicked on the servername in DPM/Management tab and instead of selecting uninstall, I hit refresh by mistake and WHAM ! it showed as OK. Re-ran CRC and created new Recovery Points and all is well now. Admin for the server says nothing has changed, but server was restarted yesterday.

go figure...

• Marked as answer by tgoetzman Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:06 PM