none
Windows Update broken.

    Question

  • hi,

    Currently we are running Windows 10 Education version 1511. Of course, I want to update this, however windows update does not work. This is affecting over a hundred machines.

    It doesn't work when going directly to Microsoft. (tried defer option, tried unticking 'install updates for other Microsoft products'

    It doesn't work when going to WSUS

    It doesn't work when configuration manager is used. (tried version 2012, then rebuilt to latest current branch of 2016)

    In all cases the error is as follows in the Windows Update Client event log:

    Windows Update failed to check for updates with error 0x80240FFF

    and in the application log:

    Version=1
    EventType=WindowsUpdateFailure3
    EventTime=131371495857086997
    Consent=1
    UploadTime=131371495858805706
    ReportIdentifier=2dd68b95-25a1-11e7-8393-001e0b9d424f
    Response.BucketId=575f87289d04408224b102706a0463be
    Response.BucketTable=5
    Response.LegacyBucketId=126737244228
    Response.type=4
    Sig[0].Name=ClientVersion
    Sig[0].Value=10.0.10586.494
    Sig[1].Name=Win32HResult
    Sig[1].Value=80240fff
    Sig[2].Name=UpdateID
    Sig[2].Value=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    Sig[3].Name=Scenario
    Sig[3].Value=Scan
    Sig[4].Name=RevisionID
    Sig[4].Value=0
    Sig[5].Name=IsManaged
    Sig[5].Value=1
    Sig[6].Name=LastError
    Sig[6].Value=0
    Sig[7].Name=CallerAppID
    Sig[7].Value=CcmExec
    Sig[8].Name=ServiceUsed
    Sig[8].Value={3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}
    Sig[9].Name=MiscField2
    Sig[9].Value=0
    DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
    DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.121
    DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
    DynamicSig[2].Value=2057
    State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
    State[0].Value=1
    FriendlyEventName=Windows Update installation problem
    ConsentKey=WindowsUpdateFailure3
    AppName=Host Process for Windows Services
    AppPath=C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    ReportDescription=A Windows update did not install properly. Sending the following information to Microsoft can help improve the software.
    ApplicationIdentity=00000000000000000000000000000000
    

    So far I've tried the following:

    Used the Windows update repair tool.

    Manually cleared out the software distribution folder and the catroot2.

    All to no affect.

    If anyone has any advice on how to troubleshoot this I'd be interested to know.

    Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:15 AM

All replies

  • Windows Update failed to check for updates with error 0x80240FFF

    Any more clues in WindowsUpdate.log?  I think that code will be the "this should never happen" one for that category...

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/938205/windows-update-error-code-list 

    0x80240FFF WU_E_UNEXPECTED An operation failed due to reasons not covered by another error code.

    In fact, you should also check your Windows Error Reporting section in System Information (msinfo32.exe) because others have seen WU report errors on behalf of its lower level associated services (such as WCP and CBS).  Then you could perhaps expect to find a more understandable and more usable error code being generated at the point where it was detected.

    C.f.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-updates-kb4013429-and-kb-4015217-fail/b4c7f8b9-56a9-47bb-9daa-b4850e7a8331?page=4 

     
    HTH



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---


    Friday, April 21, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi Robert,

    thanks for replying.

    I checked msinfo32 and the only thing that I can see is:

    Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 10.0.10586.494
P2: 800704cf
P3: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
P4: Scan
P5: 0
P6: 0
P7: 0
P8: WSAutoUpdate
P9: {855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289}
P10: 0

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_10.0.10586.494_66a8fba9cbfe73dedacdc06c531f3586f6b772_00000000_1b71f20b

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e99b5bd1-1610-11e7-838b-001e0b9d424f
Report Status: 96
Hashed bucket:

    and

    Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: WSAutoUpdate
P2: 800704cf
P3: 10586
P4: 494
P5: Windows.Desktop
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_WSAutoUpdate_ca3d3e36eff8356946394612352b8a4690dbd02b_00000000_2035de92

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e695f1d0-1610-11e7-838b-001e0b9d424f
Report Status: 96
Hashed bucket:
    

    the updates store log isn't helpful I'm afraid.

    Job error (0x80240fff) received for assignment ({ABE835FB-72F0-4139-B819-3A04322EA971}) action    UpdatesDeploymentAgent    20/04/2017 08:04:08    6080 (0x17C0)
    Updates will not be made available    UpdatesDeploymentAgent    20/04/2017 08:04:08    6080 (0x17C0)

    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:25 AM
  • See if you can find anything in both the reliability control panel and eventvwr.

    And see what happens after a run of the troubleshooting control panel then windows update troubleshooter as well as resetting:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

    Friday, April 21, 2017 9:18 AM
  • I can't find anything else unfortunately. as for the link, the instructions for windows 10 say to run the windows update troubleshooting tool. Which I have.

    Running the solution listed for windows 8.1 on windows 10 isn't viable for over a hundred machines. Its quite involved.

    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Hi

    I had the same issue

    I donloaded it directly from Microsoft and deployed it on all computersand then automatic updates runs with no errors.

    Here all the necessary links for your updates

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history

    Success if this helps ...

    Friday, April 21, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Like a Microsoft FIXIT Microsoft has batch files that they can run via a LogMeIn remote session.  You might consider trying one computer and see whether it can fix the windows update problem.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 2:12 PM
  • I checked msinfo32 and the only thing that I can see is:

    Here's a trick we can use in here with those to make them more readable.  Open a new post and use its HTML button.  Copy and Paste each WER record into that.  Then use the Update button.  Then use the HTML button again!  Then capture what you get from the second HTML view.

    So, for convenience, here are your 3 records formatted that way:

    <paste>

    Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: 10.0.10586.494
    P2: 800704cf
    P3: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    P4: Scan
    P5: 0
    P6: 0
    P7: 0
    P8: WSAutoUpdate
    P9: {855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289}
    P10: 0
    Attached files:
    These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_10.0.10586.494_66a8fba9cbfe73dedacdc06c531f3586f6b772_00000000_1b71f20b
    Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: e99b5bd1-1610-11e7-838b-001e0b9d424f
    Report Status: 96
    Hashed bucket:
    Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: WSAutoUpdate
    P2: 800704cf
    P3: 10586
    P4: 494
    P5: Windows.Desktop
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:
    Attached files:
    These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_WSAutoUpdate_ca3d3e36eff8356946394612352b8a4690dbd02b_00000000_2035de92
    Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: e695f1d0-1610-11e7-838b-001e0b9d424f
    Report Status: 96
    Hashed bucket:
    Job error (0x80240fff) received for assignment ({ABE835FB-72F0-4139-B819-3A04322EA971}) action    UpdatesDeploymentAgent    20/04/2017 08:04:08    6080 (0x17C0)
    Updates will not be made available    UpdatesDeploymentAgent    20/04/2017 08:04:08    6080 (0x17C0)

    </paste>

    So, just as I explained, we see another error code in there which makes more sense than the one that was reported externally:   0x800704CF

    PS>net helpmsg (0x4CF)

    The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

    Looks like you have a connectivity issue.  Strange that there isn't a more explicit code to reflect this condition externally.

    But I think the age of the build may be a concern too.  E.g. 10.0.10586.494 seems really old.  Any idea why that would be showing?  It may be valid, even if you are trying to install a recent build; I'm just saying it looks to me like something to consider as another clue.

    Someone else may have a better idea for you, especially concerning your last record, if this involves WUSA.  Then presumably that would just be an information record and not an error?  Who knows?

    Again, I imagine that WindowsUpdate.log could help clarify the overall scenario.



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Friday, April 21, 2017 3:44 PM
  • yes its an old build, I work in a school. I can only re-image the machines during summer. Last years update released too late to be included- I had a few days last two weeks where I could try and run a feature update and update office. It was an utter failure.

    I can see from firewall logs the machines contacted external update servers when I tried that, and I've tested and confirmed ports are open on WSUS/ config manager, and that the correct server is present in registry.

    At this point its a write off. I'm better off reloading the machines with a new image.

    Monday, April 24, 2017 2:07 PM
  • What about the new image?

    You also consider to in-place upgrade

    Download Windows 10

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:33 AM
    Moderator
  • What about the new image?

    You also consider to in-place upgrade

    Download Windows 10

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    I'm sorry, but recommending re-imaging en masse or running in place upgrade is not the answer for busted updates.

    60% of the machines will not install updates, the other 40% are fine, all built with the same image, with the same settings, in the same OU etc..

    the update system should be really reliable, and it isn't.


    • Edited by Andrew Busby Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:11 PM add pic.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:09 PM
  • 60% of the machines will not install updates, the other 40% are fine, all built with the same image, with the same settings, in the same OU etc..


    See if there is a difference with their "web.config" files?

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55a42d60-1432-4ab3-8804-1efede6788af/windows-10-1703-and-wsus?forum=win10itprogeneral#8a5d83ae-917e-4d5f-b8d8-4a653c6de71b

    (I still think WSUS users may get more informed help from a WSUS forum.  I'm just pattern-matching with only general knowledge.)



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:44 PM
  • 60% of the machines will not install updates, the other 40% are fine, all built with the same image, with the same settings, in the same OU etc..


    See if there is a difference with their "web.config" files?

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55a42d60-1432-4ab3-8804-1efede6788af/windows-10-1703-and-wsus?forum=win10itprogeneral#8a5d83ae-917e-4d5f-b8d8-4a653c6de71b

    (I still think WSUS users may get more informed help from a WSUS forum.  I'm just pattern-matching with only general knowledge.)



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Thanks,

    I'll look into that. Regarding the WSUS forum, its a fair point, however, the machines don't update from Windows Update either. Same error, ditto for configuration manager deploying updates, and using the WSUS server directly.

    Whatever the issue is, its the windows update component itself.

    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:58 PM
  • the machines don't update from Windows Update either. Same error, ditto for configuration manager deploying updates, and using the WSUS server directly.

    Since the error indicates a network problem how about using Message Analyzer (at whichever end you choose or both)?  In fact, since such symptoms frequently actually mean there is a permissions problem which is never made explicit, I would be running ProcMon at the same time to supplement that diagnostic.

    You seem to be hoping to find a solution without knowing what the problem is exactly.  The help you are getting here is mainly intended to help you refine your symptom description.  Once you get that you can worry about how efficiently you can deploy a solution which is derived from it.

    For example, regarding using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool, there may be permissions problems associated with doing that too but because everything significant is done under the covers you won't know what wasn't allowed to be fixed by it.  So, again, I would be using ProcMon to find out what is happening.  Filter with Operation Is Process Exit.  Since the procedure is based on a manual or batch file which was broken from its beginning don't be surprised to find some parts not working.

    Also, be aware that there are several ways of using a WUT.  
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-creator-update-1703-fails-to-install-stuck/abeb53b9-37db-4278-a53d-9f89c90cae3e#LastReply 



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:45 PM