Lync Deployment considerations for adding PBX integration later? RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to initially deploy Lync for IM/Conferencing/Video chat.  At a later date we will integrate with our existing PBX using a media gateway, not using the full lync voip solution.  Should I take the PBX integration into consideration when it comes to our server role configuration and layout?  Or can I still run a single Front End server running most of the roles/services and simply added PBX integration to the some server later?  This is a deployment for roughly 2200 users.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• It is isn't hard to do it,  but yes you should use the topology builder and then publish with the new configuration.

there's a difference between if you choose to have a stand-alone mediation server or a collocated mediation server, but with both scenarios you should use teh topology builder and then publish the toplogy with new configuration

for detailed information please refer to the official RTM documentation for deploying Enterprise voice here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/gg412876.aspx

regards,

Charbel Hanna
    • Proposed as answer by Fathy Refay Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:18 AM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• From a Lync perspective what you should take into consideration that a mediation server role is required in order to enable Enterprise voice features. a mediation server can be collocated with the front-end server with all other roles so you can still use a consolidate Front-end server or a standard edition server, on one condition is that you must use a media gateway that supports media bypass. Almost all Lync certified media gateways supports media bypass ie audiocodes, dialogic, etc... otherwise you should deploy a separate mediation server role that runs on a different machine.

regards,

Charbel Hanna
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Hi, Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Planning Tool Release Candidate (RC) can help you on planning for take existing voice infrastructure into consideration of Lync server deployment, in step "Voice Infrastructure", if you click "I have an existing voice infrastructure with a PBX deployed", there are three options for you determine which one is suitable.
    Best regards,
    Friday, November 19, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Thank you both very much.

Another question.  If I skipped deploying voice infrastructure and mediation server.  How easy would it be to add later?  Would I need to start over with topology builder and then publish the topology over-top my existing Lync deployment?

• Edited by tpullins Friday, November 19, 2010 6:57 PM additional question
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:27 PM
  • It is isn't hard to do it,  but yes you should use the topology builder and then publish with the new configuration.

there's a difference between if you choose to have a stand-alone mediation server or a collocated mediation server, but with both scenarios you should use teh topology builder and then publish the toplogy with new configuration

for detailed information please refer to the official RTM documentation for deploying Enterprise voice here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/gg412876.aspx

regards,

Charbel Hanna
    • Proposed as answer by Fathy Refay Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:18 AM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:28 AM