none
Windows was using my secondary DNS instead of my primary RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

First, I wish you a happy new year !!!

I have some issue with my DNS, I set up my DHCP with 2 DNS, the primary is my DC and the second one is Google DNS (8.8.8.8).

I thought the secondary DNS will be use only if primary is down but apparently, sometime the second one is used... and some service are not available because he try to reach an external IP for an internal service.

Is that normal behaviour of DNS, should I remove Google DNS and put a new DNS in the domain as second one.

Thanks

Yvan

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi vanvan,

>Is that normal behaviour of DNS, should I remove Google DNS and put a new DNS in the domain as second one.

In some degree, it is a known issue that when we configure internal DNS server as primary DNS server and configure public DNS server as alternative DNS server, when resolution, it will turn to the alternative DNS server instead of using primary one.

So, we are not suggested to use this configuration. If you want internal clients use internal DNS server to resolve Internet, it is suggested to configure forwarder on the internal DNS server. In another word, clients only configure internal DNS server as primary server, configure 8.8.8.8 as forwarder on the DNS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Thanks Anne, 

It was already the case, forwarders are ok.

I added Google DNS, if internal DNS goes down, user can still access internet with Google DNS but if Windows chose one of them randomly it doesnt make any sense now.

Yvan

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Thanks Anne, 

It was already the case, forwarders are ok.

I added Google DNS, if internal DNS goes down, user can still access internet with Google DNS but if Windows chose one of them randomly it doesnt make any sense now.

Yvan

Hi,

As said by Anne, you should add Google DNS on the forwarders list of internal DNS, then you delete Google DNS from DHCP.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Hi vanvan,

If you want to do DNS failover, then, you can step up a DNS server with secondary zone. Also configure forwarder on that DNS server. Then make the additional DNS server as alternative DNS server on client setting.

Just not configure public DNS server as alternative DNS server directly.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Hi vanvan,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:46 AM