HDV Capture problems with Canon HV40 and Roxio Premier Blu-ray ver10.3 RRS feed

• Question

• Canon HV40+windows7+I7processor+Roxio premier Blu-ray ver 10.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem with my HV40 (HDV). Been through all the threads I can find here and in other forunms. I just got my Dell XPS9000 today. Windows 7, 8MB DDR3, I7 Processor, Bluray burner, etc. Plenty of horsepower. Roxio Creator Premier 10.3 (was included) recognizes controls and captures video in DV locked/DV out but no video on HDV out. The interesting thing is that after I learned that you need to disconnect the firewire cable in order to change the output settings I also noticed that the camera gets recognized differently. In DV locked it says "Canon DV Device" In HDV out it says "Canon Vixia HV40" and when I select the device it starts, goes to "not responding" then says "failed to set up components for showing picture or sound" in the details. I have been messing around with this all day! The other thing that seems telling is that after I make the switch back to HDV output, as soon as I plug in the firewire to the camera the playback standard and DV output selectors in the menu of the camera become grayed out. Just in case I may have recoreded in SD on the first tapes I was trying I recorded a few more clips so I know they are in HDV format on the tape. I have been editing SD video in Pinnacle studio 8 for a LONG time so I am not a greenhorn to all the little gotchas but this one is tough. When I firast got the camera I tried it on my old XP SP# with Pinnacle Studio 8 just for kicks. I knew it wouldnt work with HD but the messages I was getting were very similar. This makes me think the camera is at fault somehowI WILL figure it out and WILL post an answer here. If one of you fine folks can save me the trouble I would really appreciate it.

2/21 Update
    In the manual for the HV40 it says to verify that the external capture device is compatible with the MPEG2-TS Protocol. I will be looking here next. Anyone know about this and how I do it in W7? I looked in the device manager and cant find what the 1394 card is. My next step will be to compile the information and presnet it to Canon, Dell and Roxio tech support and have them race to get me the answer the fastest. Yeah right! I'm not expecting too much from any of them but i will let you know. Also I think I saw some kind of HV40 for dummies manula or something on amazon prior to purchase. Anyone see this?

2/21/ Update 2
    Trying this (legacy 1394 driver) next- stand by...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I said I didnt want to redo the drivers on the 1394 but suince it was selectable in my system with no need to down load anything I figured I'd give it a shot. I hope my documentation here is helpful to some of you and not a problem with the forum moderators

"At the request of l33twannabe this is how I solved my video capture problem. The issue was the firewire (1394) driver that Windows 7 installed automatically when I connected my camcorder (Panasonic NV GS50B). This is how I solved the issue:

•Go to Device Manager and click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
    •Click on the device listed underneath this heading. In my case it was NEC 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
    •Right click this device and select 'update driver software' from the shortcut menu
    •Then select the option 'browse my computer for driver software'
    •Then select the option 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
    •This then gave me three drivers to pick from (make sure the'show compatible hardware' checkbox is ticked
    •Select the driver named '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'
    •Install driver
    Hope this solution will work for others. I didn't have this problem with XP or Vista.
    Edited byadyf88 Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:54 PMTypo
    Proposed As Answer byl33twannabe Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:53 PMMarked As Answer byDale QiaoMSFT, ModeratorWednesday, September 09, 2009 9:45 AM"

I will let you all nknow if it worked. Stand by...

2/21 Update 3
    Did not work.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• Heres a response from the Dell forum.  I will try this next...

Re: XPS 9000 Canon HV30 Firewire HDV Capture Windows 7 PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent<input id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_ctl01_ctl03_ctl00_ctl03_ctl00_ForumPostList_ctl05_ctl00_ctl02_ctl00_ctl03_ctl00_ctl03_ctl02_ctl00_Value" type="hidden" value="0" />

21 Feb 2010 01:49PM

I FINALLY got it to work!

I had tried all of the things that you mention trying and that others have posted online via various message boards.  Nothing seemed to work, so I finally went to Best Buy and purchased a new Firewire card a few days ago.

Like magic, everything now works perfectly!!!  It appears that the *** generic Firewire port that Dell includes in their "top of the line" XPS system is a piece of garbage!

Here are the details of what I did:

- I plugged in the HV30 through the Dell firewire port and uninstalled the camcorder driver (might not be necessary, but I thought it best to start from scratch)

- Opened the tower and installed the new Firewire card (I got a Dynex 3-port card from Best Buy for $35, but assume other cards will work equally well)

- Turned the computer back on and the new Firewire card was recognized automatically (it is listed as an "LSI 1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller" in the device manager)

- Plugged the camcorder into the new Firewire port and it was recognized (appears to be the same drivers as before)

- Used the trial software of Vegas Movie Sudio Platinum 9.0 to capture, with all the same settings that I had tried in the past

- HDV captures perfectly with ZERO dropped frames.

I WISH I would have tried this solution weeks ago before I spent hours wading through message boards and fussing with settings.  Best of luck with your system.  I hope this helps!!!

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:08 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:38 PM

All replies

• You contact Canon about Windows 7 compatibility with the HV40.  The Canon website does not have any Windows 7 downloads.  Without compatibility with Windows 7, there's not much Windows can do about it.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Heres a response from the Dell forum.  I will try this next...

Re: XPS 9000 Canon HV30 Firewire HDV Capture Windows 7 PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent<input id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_ctl01_ctl03_ctl00_ctl03_ctl00_ForumPostList_ctl05_ctl00_ctl02_ctl00_ctl03_ctl00_ctl03_ctl02_ctl00_Value" type="hidden" value="0" />

21 Feb 2010 01:49PM

I FINALLY got it to work!

I had tried all of the things that you mention trying and that others have posted online via various message boards.  Nothing seemed to work, so I finally went to Best Buy and purchased a new Firewire card a few days ago.

Like magic, everything now works perfectly!!!  It appears that the *** generic Firewire port that Dell includes in their "top of the line" XPS system is a piece of garbage!

Here are the details of what I did:

- I plugged in the HV30 through the Dell firewire port and uninstalled the camcorder driver (might not be necessary, but I thought it best to start from scratch)

- Opened the tower and installed the new Firewire card (I got a Dynex 3-port card from Best Buy for $35, but assume other cards will work equally well)

- Turned the computer back on and the new Firewire card was recognized automatically (it is listed as an "LSI 1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller" in the device manager)

- Plugged the camcorder into the new Firewire port and it was recognized (appears to be the same drivers as before)

- Used the trial software of Vegas Movie Sudio Platinum 9.0 to capture, with all the same settings that I had tried in the past

- HDV captures perfectly with ZERO dropped frames.

I WISH I would have tried this solution weeks ago before I spent hours wading through message boards and fussing with settings.  Best of luck with your system.  I hope this helps!!!

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:08 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:38 PM