Themes for Anonymous Access doesn't work.If you set a theme it doesn't replicate for Anonymous Access???? RRS feed

• Question

• I have SharePoint Foundation 2010 and created a theme and applied it to my sites and subsites. All was looking great until I viewed it from home. As an anonymous user all that I get is the default theme on the site. As soon as a user signs in the theme is applied. The theme never shows up for an anonymous user. Any idea why this is happening and how to correct it?

Thanks in Advance

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Patrick

Did you find a solution for this. I have the same problem.

Andrew Wiles - www.it-workplace.com - MDX made simple
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:18 PM
  • In SharePoint Foundation 2010 themes are currently not supported for anonymous users. Basically you could workaround it by hardcoding the link to the theme CSS in your master page which would look something like this: http://sp2010/_catalogs/theme/Themed/9262B884/corev4-8A0ABD2F.css

That link is for SharePoint Server -- I don't have a SPF VM open at the moment but it would be something similar -- note the actual random number after the Themed folder will vary. 

You won't be able to update your theme without updating the reference in your master page.  Don't the shoot the messenger though -- I didn't decide to make it this way :-)

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Thanks John

I won't shoot you as the messenger, but I would like to gently shake the person responsible fo that decision inside Microsoft. I don't need (or even want) anonymous users to be able to change theme but I would like to be able to apply my "branding" as a default for all users......

I am finding the process of applying some simple appearance changes very frustrating at the moment and incredibly, unbelievably long-winded.

Given that I want a single, consistent look-and-feel for all site visitors do you think it is a good idea to use the theme or would I be better off working directly with the CSS?

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:21 PM
  • I think your best bet to get unified branding would be custom master page that references custom CSS. It would mean more work upfront but the experience should be identical for all visitors.
    Randy Drisgill - MVP SharePoint Server
    SharePoint911 Branding and Design Services
    My Blog: http://blog.drisgill.com
    Wrox: Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and UI Design
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:22 PM
  • I had a horrible feeling that you were going to say that! I guess that I am going to need to become familiar with the hundreds of not very helpfully named styles now........

Thanks for your time and advice Randy

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Sorry for the late response.
    I'v been quite busy.
    Johns advice is exactly what i did but Randys advice would be GREAT if you have time.
    Hope that helps

Patrick

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Thanks Patrick

I am trying to work up courage to tackle the css based approach at the moment. It is the prospect of the time required that may cause me to chicken out.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Andrew it seems you are a MDX guru.
    Can i contact if i need help :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Certainly

You can reach me at andrew<dot>wiles<at>it-workplace<dot>com (replace <> as required!)

The reason that I am working on an SP site at the moment is to allow us to showcase some new SharePoint/SilverLight web parts that we have been developing for Analysis Services/OLAP reporting.

The plan is to use SharePoint for our external site - hence the need to brand properly. 

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:34 AM
  • I had a similar problem with a highly restricted (via SP settings) user account. When you logged in as that account it saw the default theme not the one I applied. Once I made some settings changes, that account could see theme I applied. Because of this experience, I am thinking that there is some way of giving the anonymous user account access to the themes either through SP permissions or file system permissions or a combination of both.

I the last 7 months have any of you guys found a administrative way (not developement way) to give anonymous access to built in themes? 

Friday, April 1, 2011 3:33 AM
  • The following site had a procedure that worked for me. Although, I am still going to look for a way to administer it without editing my masterpage.

http://www.sharepointgeoff.com/scblogspace/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=97

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:53 PM