MDT installation and random failures RRS feed

• Question

• We have MDT 2012 Update 1 x64 and we use MDT to install new machines. MDT is installed to virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 (hypervisor is also Windows Server 2012) We boot machines with PXE and start task sequence from there. Randomly MDT task sequence fails on some computers and few or more random applications wont install. We just start installation again and usually then it goes without errors. 

When I open BDD.log it contains these errors:

WARNING - unable to set working directory:  (-2147024832) ZTIApplications 11.3.2014 13:12:38 0 (0x0000)

Error installing application Microsoft Office 2010 ProPlus 32-bit ENG: The specified network name is no longer available.
    ZTIApplications 11.3.2014 13:12:38 0 (0x0000)

Any idea what could be causing this?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:44 AM

Answers

• Check the working directory of your applications. Are you using a fileserver / share or DFS(R)?

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:13 PM

All replies

• Check the working directory of your applications. Are you using a fileserver / share or DFS(R)?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Working directory is set to ".\Applications\Application specific directory"

I'm using normal fileshare, no DFS.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Then please verify the connection to your deploymentshare isn't broken or timed-out during deployments since you mention that sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. I can't imagine this is an MDT issue if the application is imported correctly.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Today I was installing one machine and task sequence failed again during application installation. Same errors as usual. I manually mapped deployment share from this machine and connection was ok. Network seems stable and I have tested copying gigabytes of data to and from deployment share without errors. 
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Unable to set working directory suggests that the directory is not there. Does this happen all the time for this specific application, or random?

If it always happens for this application, then I would say the directory is not accessible from the OS Clients, either it does not exist, or perhaps some permissions issue.

If you only get the error, once in a while, then I would suggest you have some network problems. Some debugging may be necessary.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:58 PM