One notification/sound for multiple new emails RRS feed

• Question

• One of the most annoying things about Outlook is the sounds and notifications for new emails. It plays a notification with the 'new email' sound once for every email. So if I have 25 emails in all three of my inboxes, I get 75 notifications, and it plays that sound 75 times. It's even so bad that if I read my email on my iPad, and then open my email on my computer, it STILL plays the notifications for all the new emails, even though I have already read them, and they are all marked read in my inbox as well.

The same happens when during the day it reads multiple emails at once (you know when one of those big 'reply to all' email conversations break out), it will play that sound multiple times, instead of a much more pleasant once, with a notification that says "you have <x> new emails". 

So... is there a way to get it to play the sound just once or get a single notification for multiple emails when it receives multiple emails? 

Sunday, December 10, 2017 6:07 PM

All replies

• So... is there a way to get it to play the sound just once or get a single notification for multiple emails when it receives multiple emails? 

Hi Daniel,

I am afraid currently it is not feasible to get a single sound for multiple messages with the built-in options in Outlook.

For now, you may consider tuning off the sound by clearing the Play a sound check box via File > Options > Mail > Message arrival, and selecting other type of notification like changing the mouse pointer, or displaying an envelope icon in the taskbar. 

If you think this feature is essential and would like Microsoft to include it in Outlook, I'd like to encourage posting this idea to the Outlook UserVoice forum. Microsoft loves hearing all customers' feedback and is committed to improving users' experience with the products. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members, who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 10:36 AM