4.5 sequencer not allowing installation to create all registry keys. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am running the 4.5.0.1485 sequencer on an XP SP2 system (running on Virtual Server) and it appears that when I have installed the application I do not have important registry information that normally would have been created if I had started the installation without the sequencer.  The steps that I am taking are the following:

1. Start the sequencer and give a package name and comments.
    2. Click on Begin Monitoring
    3. Install the application (SAP Front End GUI 7.10)
    4. Make any necessary changes to the application installation.
    5. End Monitoring.

I can then open regedit and do not see all the SAP specific registry information but I do see this in the Virtual Registry.  Not sure why this is happening because one of the shortcuts created by the installation doesn't work after installation (which I want to launch via the sequencer).

Any help would be apprecaited.  Thanks.

Martin
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:13 PM

All replies

• When sequencing, during the monitoring phase all registry writes are redirected and will not appear in the actual registry.  If you restart monitoring mode, you would see those items in the registry.  You can also see them in the registry tab of the sequencer GUI once you complete the wizard.

As to the shortcuts...  Many installers do something "funny" in the shortcuts they place on the desktop and the shortcuts will not launch the app in the sequencer.  This is OK as the sequencer does the right thing when creating the shortcuts that will be published to the user. 

If you needed the shortcut working because you needed to launch the app, you should (while in monitoring mode) remove the faulty shortcut and create your own.  I would caution that you should look at the properties of the existing shortcut before deleting in case there are command line arguments that you would need when you re-create it.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  I had a feeling about this but wanted to be absolutely sure.  It did all stem from a faulty shortcut, the installation was trying to register a new file type and extension in HKCR and the shortcut was simply firing off this new file type which doesn't have an association (all during monitoring mode).  I will try to re-create the shortcut and see how this behaves in the final sequenced application.  Thanks again.

Martin
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:38 PM