Best practice for creating a list for fields to lookup? RRS feed

• Question

• I am building forms which almost always have a few standard fields like these:

• Office: with 7 location choices in a drop down
    • Position: with a standard set of choices also in a drop down
    • Department: another drop down with standard choices

I know I can build a custom list that has all the offices listed and then in each form set the "Office" field to lookup the choices from the office list. However this only works if the Office list is on the same site as the form I am creating. Storing the list of offices at the parent site and trying to have a lookup field in a subsite form does not allow it to see lists at the parent level.

So should I create one master list at the parent site and then copy it to each subsite with a workflow on the parent site to set all the duplicate subsite lists whenever any changes are made? Or is there a better way? I think about this and end up just pasting the office names in drop down lists each time. Which I know means I have to edit every form if they ever add a new office.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:39 AM not customization (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:24 PM

Answers

• Can you use "Site Columns" to achieve your objective, since they are available at site collection level ? Also if you need it across site collections it can be deployed using a custom feature in SharePoint 2007.

Steve Thomas
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:39 AM SP 2010 is off-topic in this forum. SP 2010 comment removed
    • Marked as answer by MOSS_AZ Monday, July 16, 2012 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:34 AM

All replies

• Can you use "Site Columns" to achieve your objective, since they are available at site collection level ? Also if you need it across site collections it can be deployed using a custom feature in SharePoint 2007.

Steve Thomas
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:39 AM SP 2010 is off-topic in this forum. SP 2010 comment removed
    • Marked as answer by MOSS_AZ Monday, July 16, 2012 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:34 AM
  • This issue in SharePoint 2010 so I don't know why it was moved. I'll look into site columns though.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:14 PM