none
sometimes problem with nondomain server and agent connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have 5 nondomain servers which are protected with dpm 2010. From time to time (I think 1 Month) the agents on this servers cannot connect to the dpm server. In the status information on the dpm server these non domain servers are not connected, connection failed.
    Then I make a "setdpmserver -dpmservername xyz -isnondomainserver -username abc" on these nondomain server machines and after this all is okay with the protection and connection.
    What is the problem? This effect I have 2 or 3 times in the last time with these nondomain servers?

Regards

René Pavlik

Monday, October 4, 2010 5:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

My first thought is a sporadic network issue. What type of network is between the non domain protected servers and the DPM server? Are they on the same subnet? Same switch? Or are they several hops apart? Is there something causing network latency during the time that the non domain protected servers lose communication with the DPM Server?

Check the event logs on protected servers for signs of network connectivity issues and DPM agent events and check the DPM server's DPM_Alerts event log for events related to these servers.

Thanks,

Marc

Monday, October 4, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, but this cannot be the problem. When I go to dpm management console and make a refresh information of the agent status when I would have short network problems, then the connection are refreshed and okay. But I can only clear the error  when i make a "setdpmserver -dpmservername xyz -isnondomainserver -username abc" on these nondomain server machines.

Regards

René Pavlik

Monday, October 4, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Greetings,

When we run the setdpmserver.exe command we are basically setting the group memberships, firewall exceptions, and writing some information in the registry. If running this command on the protected non-domain client resolves the issue then I suspect one of the above items were changed.

Once you have the systems correctly protected note the members of the local Distributed COM Users group and any DPM specific groups. Also note the firewall state and settings. The next time you have the communication issue check these settings on the servers.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for the answer,

the firewall on this machines are off and we do not change any settings of group membership or other settings.

Regards

René Pavlik

Monday, October 4, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I appreciate that you don't changes settings or group memeberships. However, when it is in the working state checking that the firewall is off and that the group membership for Distibuted COM users is populated correctly.

Then, as soon as you have the issue, before you run the setdpmserver command, please check the state of the firewall and the group membership.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hello Steve,

Thanks for answerd.
    I have now the same problem.
    On the server with that problem, i looked for the nondomainuser for the setdpmserver -dpmservername xyz -isnondomainserver -username for the rights (the dpm backup account).

This user is in the following groups:
    Distributed COM-User
    DPMRADCOMTrustedMachines$xyzserver
    DPMRADmTrustedMachines$xyzserver

What I should check also for the problem, before I make a setdpmserver -dpmservername xyz -isnondomainserver -username ?

Regards

Rene'

Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:39 AM
  • No need to check anything on the DPM server. The setdpmserver command only affects settings on the protected server.

If go to the DPM server console, the Management tab, then Agents tab, can the console connect to the protected server? If not, what is the error?

Is the firewall service on or off on the protected server now?

/Steve

Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Hello,

the firewall is off on the dpm server and also off on the protected server.

The agent status is "not available" on the dpm server.

Regards
    René

Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Hello,

sorry for all, it was a trivial error.

The time for the password expire was to short, now i have set  that the password never expire and all is okay.

Thanks and sorry

René

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Good catch! I am glad you found that. I'll add that to my list of things to check for.

/Steve

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Hello,

now I have the same problem, but nothing helps.
    The passwort is not expire. I have made a " setdpmserver -dpmservername xyz -isnondomainserver -username " but this also not work.

The error message on the server is:

A DPM agent failed to communicate with the DPM service on xyz because of a communication error. Make sure that xyz is remotely accessible from the computer running the DPM agent. If a firewall is enabled on xyz, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the computer running the DPM agent (Error code: 0x800706ba, full name: xyz).

But all is okay, the firewall is off, all ports are open.

What is the problem?

Can it be a MS patch from last week? I have patched the dpm server yesterday with these patches?

Regards
    René

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Info@All

I have found the error.

On the DPM Server self, I must set the local useraccounts for the nondomain servers, that they are never expire.

I must set this on the protected nondomainserver and also on the dpm 2010 server.

Regards

René

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:48 AM