Restricting Network Access in a Workgroup Environment RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed SteadyState on a computer that we want to use in the lobby of our church for allowing members to register for events and accessing our church's website.  Everything is setup and working exactly as I want except one thing.  Users can still access shared resources on other workgroup computers when they are in Office.

On this particular "public" workstation I'm setting up, I don't want them to have access to the network, just the internet through IE and also the ability to open up a document in Office (some teachers show up on Sunday and need to print out a lesson or something that they brought from home on a USB memory stick).  I'm not that savvy with this stuff, just a hack working in a church office.     Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, please don't recommend that I use a domain and buy a server as I've considered all that and we don't have the money.  I need to know how to do this within the limited budget and parameters that we already have.  Thanks so much.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

To block accessing the network resources from this public computer, we can temporarily uncheck a network service.
    ----------------------
    1. Log on as an administrator account. Click Start and then Run.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl and click OK.
    3. Double click your connection icon, and then select Properties.
    4. Under the General tab, uncheck
    Client for Microsoft Networks. Click OK.
    5. Click Close and restart the computer.

Please check if the above method can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards,
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

To block accessing the network resources from this public computer, we can temporarily uncheck a network service.
    ----------------------
    1. Log on as an administrator account. Click Start and then Run.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl and click OK.
    3. Double click your connection icon, and then select Properties.
    4. Under the General tab, uncheck
    Client for Microsoft Networks. Click OK.
    5. Click Close and restart the computer.

Please check if the above method can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards,
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:09 AM
  • Greetings Michael,

If you disable access to the Windows network, your teachers will not be able to print to a networked printer.  Alternatively, you can control what icons appear on the Office "Places Bar", including removing the "My Network Places" icon.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214.

Also, with proper file and sharing permissions your public users will not be able to access network shares even if they do see them.

Franklin

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Works awesome.  Thanks.  I still have ability to print to the network printer because it's on the router, not on a shared computer, I guess.  Anyway, it worked.

Do you know how to keep them from being able to right click on program icons in the taskbar in the bottom right corner of the screen (virus software and wireless network icon)?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Please understand that SteadyState cannot restrict the right click operations in the notification area. However, we can manually hide the icons or the entire notification area.

Option 1: Hide the antivirus software and wireless network icon permanently:
    ---------------------
    You can refer to the following website to hide the Wireless Link icon:

Hide or display the Wireless Link taskbar icon
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/cc8d47f7-9629-4740-9ff3-4dcb51e90e551033.mspx?mfr=true

For antivirus programs, please refer to the program manual to check if there is any option to hide the icon from the notification area. 

Option 2: Disable entire notification area
    ---------------------
    You can refer to the methods in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1822413&SiteID=69

If the above methods work, please also let me know.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:22 AM