IE8 creates a third instance on exit and freezes my desktop????? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

IE8 creates a third instance on exit and freezes my desktop. I have to delete two of the three instances for my desktop to become unfrozen. I can then open IE8 again and surf normally but if I close IE8 again I have to delete two of the three instances again. The third instance is only created when I close out IE8. I only have two instances of IE8 in my taskbar before I close out IE8. Sorry for the redundant explaination  but I want to make clear what is happening. This problem just started today.The first time I started IE8(after turning computer on) the browser stated that my last session had closed wrong and asked me if I wanted to restore the last session or go to my home page. I chose my home page. Last night before I turned off my computer I ran a full Malwarebytes scan and Norton 360 scan. No problems were detected. Today I updated those programs and ran the scan again with no problems detected. I then went to ebay and paid for an auction I won using my Paypal account. I have been checking my Paypal account since then and no weird activity is happening. So if there is no virus or trojan on my computer could this just be an IE8 problem? The only tool bar I have installed/active is the search engine toolbar. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Norton 360 and Malwarebytes(paid version). I also went to Windows Update and updated my computer.The updates didn't fix the problem. While my desktop is frozen I can still get into menu and the task bar under the desktop(the one with the clock). If I try to launch IE8 when the desktop is frozen the web page will not load but it will try. Thanks for any help.

• Edited by PhillyDude68 Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hey Dude,

I have been experiencing such problems on a regular basis for several weeks or more. I am quite happy to be able to easily kill the offending frozen IE8 window with Process Explorer!  What a frustrating mess while trying to do some real serious business online!!

I am not sure, but I sense a real pre-Windows 7 type slow down, somewhat associated with the Search Enhancement Pack update. It failed the first installation attempt; I should have just hidden it as a FORGET YOU update perhaps.

I am hoping for some help from an  MS brain greater ours.

I am also hoping that Win 7 will not become another Vista, which is why I jumped with both feet into the Win 7 RC in June of last year with GREAT satisfaction.

Quoting you, I am also using "I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Norton 360."  In many ways I was more satisfied with my ATT supplied McAfee, but it bit the dust on my system by refusing to re-install, even after many hours of support from ATT - 3 levels, and McAfee - 2-3 levels. McAfee said McAfee would not install on Win 7 x64.

I tried Beta 1 for a very short time, while I could still uninstall it. I also have an unworkable Twain issue related to the OS, but still works on my XP Pro partition, and my laptop Win 7 Pro x64. I went ahead and installed Norton 360 on the laptop; not of necessity, but not to waste my other 2 360 licences.

Copier Guy
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I have not found a pc cleaning app that ever does a total job. I have used several of those, and also several driver update or restore apps. On the driver update area, Driver Genius Pro does a pretty consistently decent job of hardware updating. None of the 2 classes of pc "fixing" apps have fixed my problem with the loss of Twain, EVEN THOUGH SOME FALSELY PROMISE SUCH A FIX -- what these so-called Twain fixers do is look for specific hardware Twain drivers, but NONE fix an underlying basic OS problem's USE of the HP, etc., Twain driver software.

I have asked in vain for a Win 7 OS Twain fix; nobody has yet to oblige, except to totally re-install Windows 7.

Copier Guy
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I have not found a pc cleaning app that ever does a total job. I have used several of those, and also several driver update or restore apps. On the driver update area, Driver Genius Pro does a pretty consistently decent job of hardware updating. None of the 2 classes of pc "fixing" apps have fixed my problem with the loss of Twain, EVEN THOUGH SOME FALSELY PROMISE SUCH A FIX -- what these so-called Twain fixers do is look for specific hardware Twain drivers, but NONE fix an underlying basic OS problem's USE of the HP, etc., Twain driver software.

I have asked in vain for a Win 7 OS Twain fix; nobody has yet to oblige, except to totally re-install Windows 7.

Copier Guy
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:59 PM