BizTalk Tracking Database Size RRS feed

• Question

• We are using BizTalk 2009 using SQL 2005. Recently we noticed the Tracking DB size is increasing enormously.  We have traking turned on just 5 send ports and 3 recieve ports.  Messages are keeping for 5 days.Any body has any idea why size is increasing? Where to look for the reason? How to control this growth? Any suggetion most welcome.

Thanks

Mavelikara

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You might need to configure the Archive and Purge Job for BizTalk Tracking Database. Start here and this will give the steps for configuring the job

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Seems you have not configured the BizTalk SQL jobs which regularly clean up databases. Check if SQL Server agent is running. 

For time being run this maintenance script.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee253708(v=bts.10).aspx

Regards, NISHIL. MCT,MCTS BizTalk Server,MS BI. Http://www.KnishTech.com Http://www.BiztalkForums.com .Chat with Nishil now! NishilJain @ hotmail,gmail,Yahoo

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hello!

Large tracking databases may be due to many things, orphaned messages for one, not configured SQL Agent job DTA Purge and Archive.

You should run the MessageBox Viewer tool to identify any issues you may have in your environment.

You state that you have tracking turned on for many artifacts in BizTalk. If this is production I strongly suggest you to turn off artifact tracking if its not needed due to the fact that it builds up the tracking database.

You say you have configured the job to do a delete when the message is 5 days old, is this the hard delete or soft delete?

Soft delete only terminates some of the information in the tracking database while the hard delete deletes all aretifacts related to that message, keeping them close is recommended.

I hope this help.

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Any body has any idea why size is increasing? Where to look for the reason? How to control this growth? Any suggetion most welcome.

As suggested by other members, Please run Message Box Viewer, That will give you enough information about the size of Tracking Database.

Please refer How to maintain and troubleshoot BizTalk Server databases and BizTalk Databases: Survival Guide technet wiki by Steef-Jan for resolving issues related with BizTalk databases.

There is a similar thread of discussion here, Please refer the suggestions provided by answerer.

I hope this helps!

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You might need to configure the Archive and Purge Job for BizTalk Tracking Database. Start here and this will give the steps for configuring the job

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Seems you have not configured the BizTalk SQL jobs which regularly clean up databases. Check if SQL Server agent is running. 

For time being run this maintenance script.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee253708(v=bts.10).aspx

Regards, NISHIL. MCT,MCTS BizTalk Server,MS BI. Http://www.KnishTech.com Http://www.BiztalkForums.com .Chat with Nishil now! NishilJain @ hotmail,gmail,Yahoo

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:53 AM
  • It might helps you http://www.modhul.com/2008/01/03/truncating-the-biztalk-2004-tracking-database/ 

Christophe BRANDO http://christophe.brando.free.fr

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hello!

Large tracking databases may be due to many things, orphaned messages for one, not configured SQL Agent job DTA Purge and Archive.

You should run the MessageBox Viewer tool to identify any issues you may have in your environment.

You state that you have tracking turned on for many artifacts in BizTalk. If this is production I strongly suggest you to turn off artifact tracking if its not needed due to the fact that it builds up the tracking database.

You say you have configured the job to do a delete when the message is 5 days old, is this the hard delete or soft delete?

Soft delete only terminates some of the information in the tracking database while the hard delete deletes all aretifacts related to that message, keeping them close is recommended.

I hope this help.

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Any body has any idea why size is increasing? Where to look for the reason? How to control this growth? Any suggetion most welcome.

As suggested by other members, Please run Message Box Viewer, That will give you enough information about the size of Tracking Database.

Please refer How to maintain and troubleshoot BizTalk Server databases and BizTalk Databases: Survival Guide technet wiki by Steef-Jan for resolving issues related with BizTalk databases.

There is a similar thread of discussion here, Please refer the suggestions provided by answerer.

I hope this helps!

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:41 PM